1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [09/2008] This

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by NzC, 20 Sep 2008.

1. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I have been loving this thing with balls of light-ish. Anyways I had with this fun one.

2. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

Although I think the shot is pretty cool, there's something off about it... I'm thinking maybe it's the fact that the ball emits light and the background is lit up on its own? Maybe I would eliminate that light and just let the lightball illuminate the scene... just a thought. Oh, and I'd totally eliminate the fence from the background, that metal bar distracts me from looking at the guy... Otherwise I like the shot, it has that "cool" factor :D

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I don't mind the fence, but +1 do it somewhere dark so the ball is the only light source. What is that ball btw?

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I like the background light actually, I just want to see where it's coming from so it actually fits within the scene (and tone it down a bit). Obviously you've got some sort of light source in your hand (gelled strobe?) - what IS providing the overhead spotlight?

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Im not so sure it is overhead. I get the impression he's got a speedlight behind him pointing in the direction of his back.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Cool shot :)

What throws me a bit off is that the orb is dead center in the frame. It makes it look very posed somehow.

7. ssR

ssR Carbon God

+1

8. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

It was two SB-800s. The one in my hand is gelled and diffused. The second is fired into an umbrella high behind me.

Also thanks for the feedback all.

The light behind me was very intentional and I know I would hate the image without it. Maybe toned down a little I can see. I have been playing with my strobes a lot recently and one thing I have come to hate is a single gelled strobe as the only light source. It seems off when all light is a saturated color. That is why I added the light behind me. As a reference light if you will. I also did not want this other light to seem as is it was (or should be) coming from the light ball so I placed it behind me. It shows the setting and the fact that I am kneeling is shown as well.

I was on the frits about the fence too. I could easily have done it somewhere without it in the BG but I was hoping it would ground the image and make it fell different, but unfortunately I don;t think it worked. I might play w/ the fence in post a little more...we shall see.

Thanks,

Nick

9. OleJ

OleJ Me!

+1 to tone the backlight down just slightly. Moreover I'd recommend you aim it at your own back or at least further towards you. I think it would work better if you were more integrated with it. Right now it is somewhat disconnected from the main subject and stands out too much.
    Or having it more diffuse might help?

Oh and I would avoid that small patch of grass. The green really makes me focus on it.

It's a very cool setup you've made. Great idea. And the blue orb effect works very well along with your posture.

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I dont know if its technically possible but if the back light shown down directly onto you it would look like the mother ship was ready to beam you back aboard!

Tags: