1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [10/08] Microwave Explosion

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Silver51, 6 Oct 2008.

1. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

[​IMG]

Large Image

A Mini Maglight, microwave, 20 second exposure and a bit of frantic arm waving.

The kitchen was dark for this, with the only the dining room lights on behind. I put a cup of water in the microwave and set it running for 40 seconds with the camera on shutter priority (20sec) and on 2sec self timer. It took about 24 shots to get this one image. :sigh:

Exif:

PENTAX Corporation
    PENTAX K100D
    f/19
    20 sec
    ISO-200
    0 step
    45 mm

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

It's pretty cool. This doesn't really remind me of an explosion, though. And I'm unsure how well it really fits the theme, but close enough i guess. :)

The toaster feels a bit distracting, IMO it reflects too much, making the light trails look "messy".

3. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

microwave spider.

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Well, motion was certainly used to make it I guess. I liked the idea of light trails, but didn't want to do something other people were going to try.

The original Idea was to do this, (big fish, little fish, cardboard box.) The weather this past week had been appalling and the first time I went out to shoot it at Porthminster Point, the wind kept knocking the tripod over (sans camera, which was in my hand.) I even weighted the tripod, but it still went over in the big gusts.

Finally caught it on Sunday when things calmed down, but not before playing with the microwave using the same technique. Side by side, mum preferred the microwave.

[​IMG]

Large Image

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I like! This is a great effort. The lighting looks about right, any brighter and you'll lose details on some of the trails; any darker and you'll lose the background. The reflections off the workbench and the toaster in particular looks good imho. Nice one!

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

I like the idea behind the microwave. I think the reflections coming from the toaster are a nice touch and add another dimension to the shot. I'd like to see more sparks flying away from the microwave, not much of an explosion there. Maybe set to ISO 100 and 30 sec exposure and some PS later on should give you the same atmosphere with more time to create more "sparks"

7. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I like it. For some reason I was thinking a CD-R disc was involved (as they do weird things in mics) but out of the unit made me wonder. Heh, I had to think about it longer then I should have, stupid lateness/brain... :D

8. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

To be honest, I like the one with the fish a bit better. Although I cannot see remnance of you or your arm in the microwave photo, it kind of looks like those light trails were photoshopped or drawn in. They're just a bit too roughly curved at points.

9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Is that a good or a bad thing? I wasn't trying to get me in the microwave picture, which is why it took so many shots to get this. I had to be between the light and the camera, staying in shadow, in order not to show up.

With the fish, I was behind the light so I was burned into the image along with the light trails, which is what I wanted.

The curves were a pain anyways. I'll upload one of the early shots later, but trying to draw something in the air without seeing where you've been is really, really tricky.

I tried to do spirals away from the microwave originally, but they didn't quite work out.

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

This was one of the images taken prior to the one above. The ghosting in the corner is me, where I stayed too long in frame. Because the side of me facing the camera is not being lit by either the microwave or the maglight, I have no cool detail.

Exif:

PENTAX Corporation
    PENTAX K100D
    f/16
    20 sec
    ISO-200
    0 step
    45 mm

[​IMG]

Large Image

Last edited: 8 Oct 2008
  11. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I really like both attempts, but would take the BIG fish, little fish, cardboard box over the other one. Although, Mums know best! hehe :D

12. Stuey

A good thing. I meant that despite it being great that you were hidden from the camera, I didn't like the light trails. I certainly do like the creativity and good composure though.

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Looks kinda like you've got a little dancing dude inside the toaster on the second microwave picture.

Rather than explosion, try for the microwave being the "body" to some creature (draw in a head, arms, legs, ect). Maybe try for a glowing heart inside the microwave (black paper cut-out taped inside/outside the door while microwave is running).

14. Stuey

You've got my vote for POTM. I dunno, I just thought that your composition was the most creative.

15. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Nice pictures. I like the reflections on the table on first pic. The second one looks like something exploded, leaving a cloud of smoke there(quite funny :D )

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Thanks. Forgot about voting, doing it now.

Tags: