1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory 12 Gig Ram?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bugste81, 21 Feb 2012.

1. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

2. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

The only difference is aesthetics to be honest, the vengence kit has tall heatspreaders and MAY overclock slightly better, but there really isn't any performance boost :)

3. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

4. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Well, he clearly needs a triple channel kit, so those aren't gonna be of much use :thumb:

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

A RAM drive is an area of RAM reserved to be used as storage. So basically, you could make a very small but very fast SSD.
    As RAM is volatile, its only available to use while the PC is on, I presume when you turn the PC off, it writes everything from the RAM drive to the Hard drive.

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Corsair recently did a write-up on using RAM as a cache drive using software which costs around $80. The numbers were hugely improved in some cases but I dont know whether this would equate to improved real world or "how fast it feels" performance compared to a quick SSD. More info here.

7. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

Thanks for the Corsair Link. I've had a quick play with the program and it's great. Need to do a bit of tweaking to assign it to my Hard drives as well. The up shot is I've ordered the 12gb Kit of Corsair Vengeance.

8. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

If you want a classic RAM disk as opposed to that caching system, there are a couple of options I've used.

Dataram RAMDisk is good in that it allows you to mount the drive automatically on startup, but it's limited to only a 4Gb disk in the free version -

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

Alternatively I've also been using ImDisk - it isn't as good in terms of features, but for this one there is no limit on the RAM disk size you can create -

http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk

Of course, what you can actually DO with a RAM disk is up to you :) I tried copying games to one and playing them from there, but didn't notice significant speedup compared to playing from the regular location, though that was a nice fast SSD to start with.

9. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

Brilliant. Will give that ago as well. Thanks for the info.