1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mark Rein claims 'Gears of War can rival Mario'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 27 Nov 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

A spelling mistake: It's 'skeptical' not "sceptical".

I for one don't think this series has the depth in the plot or storyline required to constantly reinvent itself with further editions in the series past three.

But hey, we'll have to wait and see. Though I do usually prefer to see new and fresh things.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I can see it being popular it in own market segment, but Mario seems to have branched out a lot, its not just a platformer, its not linked to one console.

4. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

Rival Mario!!! thats blasphemy! Mario is a real classic, it takes time for something to evolve into that status. I can't see someone, in 20 years, picking this game up and playing it.

5. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Im already bored of GoW. I dont see how it can rival FF, let alone Mario

6. flabber

flabber What's a Dremel?

Hehehe, it might be a good game... heck, it might be the best game of 2006. But to say that it can rival Mario, Final Fantasy and others who have been around for years is a bit cocky if you ask me. The game is the first of the (current known) series. Whereas Mario is a character that's sinonymal for Nintento, Final Fantasy is one of thé best known rpg's (and a sinonym for Square-Enix), And who doesn't know Metal Gear? These kind of games have a good history behind them... something Gears of War is still yet to prove. Loads of games were excellent, but the sequel just plain s*cked ;)

I'd wait and see before shouting from the highest tower ;)

7. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

In England we spell sceptical... sceptical. (check the Oxford English Dictionary) :)

8. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Funny thing is, it says he's from London.... Skeptical indeed

9. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

Sorry Ryan, but that headline is totally misleading. Where does Mr Rein say: "Gears of War can rival Mario" ? He's only saying that popular games usually become franchises... nothing more. And if you were speaking about franchises and had to mention 2 or 3, I bet that the first ones that comes to any console gamer's mind are Mario, Halo, FF, MGS or Sonic.

The way you wrote the headline, it seemed that we were headed for a new "jewel" of , as you call him, vociferous Mark Rein, wasting Mario or claiming GoW is "teh best game 3va!!!!w00t w00t", but as a matter of fact, his post seems quite inoffensive to me.

10. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Whatever Garside your just a multi modder.

Sticking to the topic however I think we can all agree this is a dubious and unwarranted claim about Gears of War(especially since it isn't origional enough to make it's engine). What other game can you whistle the theme music to and instantainiously see the nestalgia encumber inside the head of who ever is listening? Only Mario has the past present and future ability to be played by all ages in all times.

Clams

11. DougEdey

fixed some typos

It uses the Unreal Engine 3, developed by Epic, who happen to have developed this game...

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

????

Anyway, I like gears of war but for a game thats just come out can not be assumed it can rival a long existing character thats well known across the globe.

I dont even know the main guys name in Gears of war and I bet if you ask any non gamer about gears of war that they will have a blank face as not knowing what your talking about. but ask them who Mario is and they could answer right away. Even my Nan knows who Mario is.

I find it strange that the most well know game character is a Fat Italian American plumber who loves eating piza. Its ironic that kids see him as a hero and roll model.

13. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Rival Mario.. would take a great deal of creative expression to make GOW have the same appeal/options that Mario has had over the years.

And I really can't see a GOW Kart.. ;)

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

It'll last a couple of sequels before people get disgustingly bored of running two feet, hiding, shooting, repeat for 5 hours. In my opinion people are all hyped up about the good graphics and the fun-for-a-while game play. It just doesn't have the lasting appeal of titles like Mario.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

mario will still exist when my grandchildren play on their future game consoles..... this game wont :D

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I agree. In fact, I read the article here on Bit-Tech and skimmed the 5 pages of the thread over at Epic, and I could not find where Mark Rein says anything about GoW rivalling Mario.

When I read the post, I got the impression that he was asking a rhetorical question as to why the developers should stop at 3 games. He went on to point out examples of other franchises that have gone on to produce a quantity of other titles, based on the characters of the original game (i.e. Mario), or games that have produced a quantity of sequals under the same title (i.e. Final Fantasy).

-monkey

17. Nature

Nature Minimodder

And Quake 4 used the doom3 engine even though it was developed by id and raven software. Counter strike runs on what? My point is that for a game to be eternal it must birth itself, not use other games existing technology (even though unreal 07' isn't out). Well I kind of disproved myself right there but my orgional point is that no game can be epic unless it is origional.

Fetus

18. DougEdey

Originality needs to be in a story line, not in the technology. You can't say something is the same because it has the same engine.

Would you class Half Life and CS as being the same?

19. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

Funny that no one mentions Zelda.

20. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

cuase zelda is more for the gamers, but everyone knows mario... Everyone

PS. lol at the picture caption "mario with a star is invincible, mario wins" haha priceless

Tags: Add Tags