News Penryn coming sooner than expected?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I so want to support the underdog but please AMD, do something soon.

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Intel *** :D

God this year is gonna be so awesome

4. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I totally agree. AMD/ATI should have something up their sleeves. Also, Intel isn't stupid. Like they really want to push another new product that would compete with their existing Core 2 lineup without a strategic reason behind it; like Oh let's say..... AMD/ATI's new product line! :idea: Personally, I think that it's good for the consumer. :thumb:

5. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I'd say AMD has been doing worse than usual lately. Every action by Intel could be the one to finally drop AMD from the race. They could just be trying to hit below the belt here. Dropping AMD out would be a great victory for Intel. However, that would not be a good situation for us consumers.
    Intel's main strategy here could be to try to hastily leap from the trial and error - phase of the new 45nm tech. If they can dominate the process and its offshoots till they reach maturity Intel could have a winner here. The best situation for Intel is to get to dictate the future and standards of multi-core processors. They could choose the ways of doing things that fit best with their experience and existing manufacturing capabilities.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

maybe new cpus at Christmas time...... :D

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Intel only has the lead with the more expensive cpu's.... but amd still kicks the living hell out of intel if it comes to the budget market.... so, amd should just stop marketing their cpu's as gaming stuff and concentrate on the single core athlon 64's in office pc's and promote those harder.... they are as cheap as a celeron based on long past tech from intel, but several times faster.... and come with less noisy coolers....

8. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

That's true. I'm just worried what will happen when the time comes to phase out single core ahtlons. Will AMD have a potent enough technology to fill in the void or will Intel rule the whole processor market?

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Intel actually just dropped its prices last week (I was unfortunately on a plane when the news came out so it was too late for us to report it). I'm honestly not sure who owns the lower end of the enthusiast market now, but here's a good run down of pricing structure: http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/12325

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

no worries... i made a quick overview

sub 50$
    Single Core Athlon 64's currently go for 30-50$, same goes for intel's (netburst) celeron

50-100$
    Netburst P4's and Moblie Celeron's and Athlon 64 x2 3600+ - 4000+ fall in this category

100-200$
    C2D E4300 -E6420 and Athlon 64 x2 4200+ - 5200+

200-500$
    E6600 + E6700, most mobile cpu's, and the amd x2 5600+ and 6000+ and the complete FX lineup
    + the cheaper Xeon's and Opteron's

500$+
    Quad core's from Intel (+some of the more expensive mobile chips) + the faster xeon's and opterons

conclusion:
    intel has the clear lead if it comes to highend offerings
    in the 100$ to 200$ range they sitting close to each other
    and in the sub 100$ range amd has the clear lead

oh... and dont forget... even a 30$ athlon 64 can run half life 2, quake 4... and so on...
    gotta love price wars :rock:

Tags: Add Tags