1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The end of Digg is nigh?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They'll be sued soon, but it'll be like trying to sue a tracker, they aren't distributing the information, just facilitating the spread of the information.

Tbh, it was stupid for encryption to be this easy

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I dont know, because the actual key is being stored on their servers... it would be different if they were just linking to a site that had it on but its in the digg title too.

4. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Noooo !! Digg is nice, except for some very stupid comments and its ability to completely overwhelm "little" hosters, if 1500+ people visit the site in an hour, it can clog the tubes pretty easily.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I honestly don't think they will let it die no matter what kevin says, the site is worth too much money.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

And every other server on the internet by now. You know, five million different blogs, anyone who uses Twitter, plenty on Facebook and MySpace. AIM away messages, slashdot sigs, even here at Bit. So-called Barbara Streisand effect if I've ever seen it before.

Not that it matters anyways - the encryption has been cracked for months.

TBH I won't be that saddened if Digg falls over this, thought I doubt they will. It's an interesting place to grab some news, but the community is worthlessly childish and immensely hypocritical (although admittedly their hypocrisy is in self-censorship, and the posts aren't deleted). They'll spend all day complaining about the religious mindset of the government and how it's destroying the country, when their own hive-mind would have someone who likes Vista hung.

Which is why I never bother even trying to participate in discussions any more. At least some of the slashdot mods are honest enough to mod up a post they disagree with if it genuinely contributes to the discussion. Half the content is blogspam anyways, and two thirds of what isn't ends up crashing shortly after hitting the front page.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

8. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Trust the Digg userbase to throw a tantrum when Digg protects itself legally. This should never have been an issue, and Kevin Rose should definitely not have been forced to let the key back on the site. :miffed:

9. RTT

RTT #parp

And yet ironically, no one would want to buy Digg *because* of things like this :D Would you want to buy into that user-base? :hehe:

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

11. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

I somehow feel that the revolt was not really about Digg taking it down so much, but was more due to the consumer fight against DRM. I think we all want the industry know and see that DRM is broken and unwanted. When the industry tells a site like Digg to remove this information I would think this is looked at like a gag order not to divulge that their DRM technology has been made useless.

I think Digg is really just caught in the crossfire of a bigger and long standing fight between the people and media control industry.

12. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Actually, you got it the wrong way round. DRM got caught in the crossfire of an issue primarily centred on Digg. Digg users have suspected overly tight moderation on certain topics for a while and it's just this DRM issue which has brought it boiling to the surface. It was a crazy idea to even try to censor this series of numbers in the first place (and that's what the original Digg story about the cease and disist notice was about) so when Digg actually acceded to the take down notice itself, Digg users felt betrayed.

That's what the whole issue is about, people are not submitting stories containing the key again and again because they hate DRM, they are doing it because they feel the demonstration of the value of their democratic network will help change the way Digg is moderated in the future. And it looks like they succeeded.

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Agree 100%. Several months ago (when I first came across Digg) there was a decent fraction of intelligent, considered, well-written posts; now the lowest common factor has taken over. Fan-boy extremism on every subject, no shades of grey, and an astonishing level of pig-ignorance.

It's not democracy in action, it's mob rule, burn the (douchebag) heretics. :sigh:

14. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

I really think it's a bit long-fetched to think that you can actually copyright a set of 32 random letters and numbers. This is silly.

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

~Im lost, what can you do with this numberthey are trying to stop being distributed?

16. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

from what i know ..which is just the small bit from reading this .. i feel bad for the Digg CEO.. seems like he's caught in the middle.. too bad :-/

17. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

the problem with this is that i understand where digg was coming from in the beginning

this reaction is only going to hurt digg. now if you flooded a an MPAA site or something like that then it would make sense. but its just going to result in the loss of digg.

18. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

In short: You can unlock the encryption on all currently released HD-DVDs so that you can copy/rip them, or watch them on a non HDCP-compliant system like Linux.

19. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

even if digg falls something will always take its place.

the box has been opened and no amount of laywering will make it close again (ref pandora's box)

on another note, I'm sticking with bit for my tech news, and these forums for discussion. the mods here are honest, and the conversations intelligent (even the fanboys here argue with some sense) and the articles are well thought out and fair.

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this would mean chaos if it was for the blue-ray....... has blue-ray been fully hacked like HD-DVD?

Tags: Add Tags