1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Build your own server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 5 Jun 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Last edited: 5 Jun 2007
  2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

niceeeeee :D

should b useful when people ask me and i can just point them here :) solid, simple, but concise... perfect.

3. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

Great guide you put together and it should help me out massively in about a month, thanks

4. Robotrix

Robotrix What's a Dremel?

I'm still waiting for Windows Home Server :cooldude: :clap:. Then I'll build my server.

5. TechnoScream

TechnoScream Minimodder

Excellent Guide - Thank you

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

you did disable the GUI after setting it up right? 192mb of ram is one fat memory hog. It also adds to unreliability. My server runs:
    ut2004game server
    Nexuiz server
    Direct connect client
    Direct connect hub (lan only)
    Ftp server
    Samba share
    Teamspeak server
    some random web accessible hardware monitoring thingy
    SSH (with an actual SS not just terminal login)

Then when I want to use aplications that are better in linux like the GIMP swiftfox and open office I can fire up gnome and synergy :D

you may want to put in a warning about using VNC like programs over the internet... namley don't unless you know how to make it secure... belive me I thought I was invulnerable untill somone else suddenly took control :p

Also you may want to post some info on getting disk access speeds faster using hdparm as most drives are configured with slow fail safe parameters by default :)

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

really nice ! I thought about making that but didnt have the patience to search for information (I know ! me = lazy)

now if I could just find that 256mb DDR stick that's somewhere around here... i could use that good old K7S5A with a little sempron and finaly have a file server for my LANs :D

EDIT : Kipman what's the hardware of your machine to host the UT2k4 gameserver ?

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Just tunnel it through a very secure SSH2 connection ;)

9. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Very good article/guide.

Every now and then I install linux on one of my odl PC's and always end up just abandoning it again because I really dont need it. my email/fileserver/torrentserver and irc is all on my old Dell C610 running vista basic. It works fine so I am happy with it.

But if I do install linux again on that old machine I have in my bedroom, which I am sure I will do soon, I will defo follow this guide.

10. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

very useful, now have torrentflux running on the media server. :thumb:

a freind of mine was wondering how to make a server for files when he's away from home, and I can just point him here rather than trying to explain it.

hopefully Glider will continue to write more articles for bit, as his guides on linux here so far are definitely in the top ten of the ones I've read.

11. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Thanks for that Glider, it was a really well written, descriptive and easy to follow guide, brilliant :D As someone that has messed around with linux in the past, but always got frustrated or just downright confused, this was brilliant! I managed to get a server setup no problem, and am now working my way through other things on the machine.

12. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Very nice guide Glider, but a few lines explaining what chmod, chown and the few scripts do would help immensely for those who have never touched a linux box. Granted, "man chmod" and man chown? does that trick but not everyone knows. Else it's perfect.
    Now i'm eagerly awaiting the swamp of questions flooding the linux sub-forum the next few days. That will keep you busy Ken. :hehe:

13. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

nice article.. i'm curious though, has anyone used/setup FreeNX or NoMachine's NXSever ? I hear it's faster than VNC.. but I've been having a bear of a time trying to set the darn thing up :(

14. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

2600+ athlon
    1Gb DDR 333mhz
    100Mb/s lan
    it's in my sig :D

most players I have had on was 22 over lan while the hard disk was getting hammered for files at the same time with no detectable lag... network interface was at 99% - 97% utilisation at all times though. I think UT had some kind of priority over SMB though as latancys were still low. I think it would stop running so well at about 60 players if ut supports that much mainly from cpu load.

*the game server that eats hardware is the CSS.. found it very hard to get that non laggy and when I did the next steam update broke it! gave up... rubbish game anyway.

**if anyone gets AVP2 game server to work please tell me! as the only way I could see of getting it to work was going back to the 2.4 kernal due to the libary required only been compatible with pre 2.6 kernals :(

Last edited: 5 Jun 2007
  15. andyl33t

andyl33t What's a Dremel?

Great guide! I was just wondering something, when you set up FTP, don't you need some sort of service provider that you pay for?

thanks

16. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Thinking I'll turn one of the old rigs into it, just not sure which one. Either way i'm downloading Xubuntu as we speak :)

Excellent article, more to come please :). Maybe a comparison of all the different interfaces you can use, for us GNOME noobs...

17. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

Super guide :thumb: Now i'ts a sure thing that i'm going to run linux on my server :D

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

oh sorry i didnt see :D

very interesting ! I had no idea a regular PC could handle so many players, that's enough fopr a good onslaught server :)

I think the fact that it's a shuttle makes it 10 times cooler :D

19. Raziekiel

Raziekiel What's a Dremel?

Good read, I'm running my server on win2k (hey, it's lightweight and it works) but I may switch to linux in the future. For now, win2k and tightvnc work for me!

20. Glider

Glider /dev/null

No, this FTP server shares out to the LAN. Unless you forward the correct port (21) to the server, then it should be reachable worldwide.
    Chmod changes the access rights to a file/directory. Read, write and/or execute (there are more, but those are special)
    Chown changes the ownership of a file/directory. This is important, certainly when files are 'read only by owner'.

Please do :) It's getting too quiet over there ;)

Tags: Add Tags