1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Build your own server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 5 Jun 2007.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

For *nix to *nix is usually better to use NFS its not really any more complicated and there are plenty of good guides on the net.

If you really want to use samba your distro might have a gui based "network browser" other wise mounting smb (samba) can some times be a bit tricky.

If i were you i'd make a new thread in the software section as you'll get more views this thread is a couple of years old and doesn't many foot falls. Tell people your running a glider sever and detail what distro your using for the client box.

2. Lee H

Lee H New Member

I know I'm coming into this thread late, but thanks for the awsome guide. As a linux newbie, my only wish is:
    Instead of going on to a third How To, *Please* update and correct the first one! It's hell having to go through 580 comments just to find out why things aren't working as they are supposed to. I'm using Xubuntu 9.04. As it is, I've got most things working but just can't seem to get phpmyadmin to install properly--I keep getting "Error installing database"

Can anyone tell me what I have to do? TIA

3. hshoshari

hshoshari New Member

Hi i'm new to ubuntu and i need help!
    i followed the article step by step and builded the server and it works fine :)

i need help
    the HDD in the server is small (13GB) so i added an external HDD it works fine on ubuntu
    but how do i link it so i can accses it like i can accses the (\\(ip)\homes) on the other computers?
    i dont know how to do it pls help.

do i edit smb.conf if so what do i write?
    thnax

4. hshoshari

hshoshari New Member

Nevermind i have done it :D

5. tommygreatboom

tommygreatboom New Member

Need Help too.

How can you do that ?

6. ppantherva

ppantherva New Member

Can you update this article or post a new for Windows Vista & Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. I tried your way & more than half of it doesn't work, I'm assuming it's because its outdated.

7. name_user231

name_user231 New Member

Can anyone verify that this works on 11.04 of Xubuntu. When I try to restart the server in "File Sharing", i get an error that the file doesn't exist. I've re-downloaded the Sambe file and re-installed it twice, to no avail.

Tags: Add Tags