News $1 Million for Half-Life 2 Mac

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Oct 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I though people who bought MAC's were too cool for gaming?

:lol:

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Also... 1 million dollars...

That is like pocket change for apple. Expecting it for freebies is just stupid. Investing $1mil on the source engine is a potentially brilliant investment for apple.

4. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

I love my mac and do all my work on it (animation), but I spent over a grand to get my sexy PC purely for the reason that Macs are not for games. If they ported it and I didn't have my PC I would more likely buy it on the 360. The gaming community on the Mac is very small. TF2 would have a fraction of the activity its going to get on the PC and 360.

Mac's are good, just by no means are they for games.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

heh, well put.

Sam

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I thought those people that buy macs, do it because it looks nice in contrast to the wallpaper of their livingroom...

7. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

So many people in this thread being added to my ignore list :)

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

As great as my mac is I think I'd still rather play orange box on my 360.

9. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

seems sensible as a bad port could hurt the HL brand. Not many Mac gamers either - most use parallels or bootcamp anyway.
    It was a loss making idea and Gabe didn't want to do it. Whoop de do.

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

Mac owner here...love it to bits (despite the problems I've had with it). However, Macs aren't gaming machines, period.

As for the Orange Box, I'll be playing on the PC (and no doubt my housemate will pick it up for the 360).

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Im currently thinking about getting it for my 360 and not Pc. I have HL2 on PC and never played it, only CSS. I think getting the complete game on 360 will make me play HL2 at last :). Anyway Im more interested in Portal than the rest of the bundle. If Portal was on Live arcade, then id just buy that. Its a shame CSS aint in the box as that might do much better than CS did on the original xbox.

12. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

Seems rather trivial, both companies could probably just flush 1 million dollars down the toilet and it wouldn't make much difference. I'm sure this would have made many users really happy too... Oh well...

13. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

I think the author of the original article is talking out of his arse; I'd jump at the chance to be allowed to port such a massive franchise, even if it were more than a million.

14. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

PC all the way consoles are not for FPS gaming!

15. SlickGnome

SlickGnome What's a Dremel?

Macs are great, but not at gaming. PC for me. Only FPS I've ever liked on console was Halo, (and the only one I've played that I think works on a console)

16. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

fixed.

17. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

$1 million...I wanted say this is a large figure at all. You would get the money back with around 100,000 buyers...with a large profit.
    Comparing this to halo 3, I know halo 3 is a bigger game on platform designed for gaming (360) but anyway - the figures for making the game were $30 million and $10 million for advertising.

So this is at 1 million to have the game ready..that's 3.33% of the cost of making halo 3, Microsoft then went on to make $300 million in the first week, saying that half-life 2 on the Mac was a meer 5% as succesful as halo 3... thats $15 million (giving you a profit of 1500%)....to get that $15 million...say the game was $50 a pop... they would need 300,000 people...World Wide... to make this sort of profit + with the benifit of bringing more people to Mac's as gaming (or lack of) on Mac's are probably one of the main reasons why people don't buy them (along with the price and compatibility); people will start to think this is a change in direction and there could be more games coming.
    Please comment if you think i'm wrong.

Ed

18. Nova

Nova What's a Dremel?

I am a US college student in a Graphics Major and i see plenty of macs. i dont own a mac yet, but its on the todo list. but ill still be gaming on my PC desktop, and using the mac laptop for class/day to day stuff.

no mention of bootcamp?

19. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Is there going to be M+K support? I would sure hope so......also, is there going to be cross-platform support, as well?

20. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I guess no and errr no. :)

Last edited: 9 Oct 2007
Tags: Add Tags