1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 140mm Case Exhaust Fan With A Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShakeyJake, 1 Mar 2011.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hi guys,

I'm about to get the Define XL and I don't know what to do about case fans. I get 2 140mms and an immobile 180mm exhaust fan too. There is space for two 140mm fans at the front, as well as the 180 and either a 120 or 140 at the back. I had planned to put both of the Fractal-supplied fans in the front two spaces and buy a 3rd party one to put in the back. If I hang that one off the supplied fan controller then with a bit of luck I can have quiet and peaceful or full-bore cooling as and when needed.

So, what are your suggestions for a fan that is capable of shifting a lot of air at full-blast and that can be tamed via a fan controller, ideally down to damn-near silent?

I've seen the Fractal 140mm fans are definitely geared towards low noise and airflow so I think they're out for the back. I have had good luck with 4 Sharkoon Silent Eagles, but the 140mm ones are also low-power by the looks of it. Would a 120mm Silent Eagle SE be as good in the back? That plan has the advantage of being free (I already own two of those and two 1000s) but I can't shake the feeling that a 140mm fan is just 'better' somehow.

I only ask because by all accounts the roof-mounted 180mm fan isn't brilliant and so I'll be counting on whichever one I buy to be a damned-good fan.

2. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

Noctua

ShakeyJake likes this.
  3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

They should be powered by UPS meh, Trust the brown.

I have 5 Zaward ZG2-120B with a PWM Hub, It's like a dream. Quality, quiet and sober
    They also have 140mm

Last edited: 1 Mar 2011
    ShakeyJake likes this.
  4. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Thanks guys but I managed to find a great deal on a Scythe 1900rpm 120mm fan, which will fit in the same hole and hopefully do the job just fine. If it doesn't then I'll head for the Zaward ones, they look superb.