1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 140mm fans, and cpu heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by registeredlandmine, 5 Aug 2010.

1. registeredlandmine

registeredlandmine What's a bit-tech?

After some 140mm fans for my case, any reccommendations, or where to buy from etc?
    I want 3 for the CM 690 II advanced.

Also i was planning on getting the titan fenrir v2 for £28 from scan, is this still the best heatsink for the money? is it worth spending a bit more or should i save a few quid and get a cheaper one? (socket 1156 btw)

Also what thermal compound artic silver 5 or some mx-3 which is best either or something else?

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The best place to start your hunt for fans would be the fan test they done a few months back on here. As for the paste, the artics as good as any, I've never had any trouble with it so would say it's a safe bet and the titan is pretty much as good as it gets and has proved reliable on every thing it's ever been mounted on.

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I recently put a Fractal Silent Series 140mm in the roof of my Antec 300. I can't hear it, no matter what speed it is running at and it is beside me on the desk here.

I am not sure that it would be enough airflow for a whole CM690 though. I would use one again on a roof without hesitation but I would prefer the option of higher CFM for front fans.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

the stock fans in that case arnt that bad tbh. just a bit noisy for my liking

they did a case fan review a while back just t ype in case fans and you will get a link to the review on the main page

general idea for most

high CFM in the front on medium speed
    High CFM on low speed in the back
    high CFM in roof on low speed

front should be pulling air in

roof + back should be pulling air out

if you dont want a hoover running in the background the speeds ive suggested should be enough for what you want. Get a fan controller to set speeds i couldnt live without mine in all honesty.

Teelzebub likes this.
  5. rehk

rehk What's a Dremel?

you can get a 140mm 1000rpm yate loon with a 3 pin connector from ebuyer for £5

i have them in the roof of a lancool k58 and i cant hear any difference between them and my stock front and rear fans, and its only the air noise, no motor noise or anything. they shift a tonne of air aswell.

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. registeredlandmine

registeredlandmine What's a bit-tech?

I'm keeping the current fans in my case just putting more in as i will be overclocking, them yate loons look good thanks. The fan test is for 120mm fans also, and i'll just get either mx-3 or the artic silver 5 whichever is cheapest. As far as a fan controller goes i don't think i need one, my pc is currently not very loud, with stock fans and when i add more fans that are quiet i'm not gunna need to adjust speeds. I'll most likely get the titan fenrir, reason i asked was because they don't seem to be reccomended anymore more the gelid tranquil or some others.

Thanks for the replys though, any other opinions/ recommendations on 140mm fans?

Another question if i put the titan fenrir v2 on a ga-p55m-ud2 mobo, will i still be able to fit ram in all the slots? (preferably corsiar xms3)

7. rehk

rehk What's a Dremel?

You should, Corsair XMS3's heatsinks are only a few millimeters taller than the pcb