1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 140mm fans?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Volund, 28 Sep 2009.

1. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I'm looking at getting a different, smaller, quieter case around christmas. I was looking at the Lancool PC-K60, as it fits all my needs, and looks much nicer than my current rig.

just a few questions on the cooling fans though. I'm about 90% sure that I will be changing out the stock fans for something quieter with a bit more CFM, but I could use recommendations and comments on the ones that I have tentitively selected (3x Yate loons or 3x AeroCools)

1- Which fan would you buy for a quiet system (I will sacrifice some CFM for a quieter fan, my current rig sounds like a frigging jet engine).

2- any other suggestions for a quiet 140mm fan? I'll be running 3 in the rig, and I want them as quiet as possible.

Thanks guys

2. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

3. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

custom PC mag did the fan test on all sizes recently. I expect that the other sizes will be posted up soon(ish)

that one is rated at 51.86cfm and 15dBA, but wouldn't fill the sack so scored less than 6 cfm and 23.4dBA

so quiet = yes
    useful = not really

140mm fans:

airflow wise = sharkoon S1402515P-3, when tested reached 87cfm at 41.5dBA (loud)
    noise wise = akasa AK-195BL, when tested reached less than 6cfm at 26.8dBA (almost useless)

the yate loon D14SL-12+4LED got less than 6 cfm at 26.7dBA (almost useless)
    they didn't test that aerocool fan, although the areocool v14xt blue line en55277 came out at 18cfm at 31.1dBA

basically the conclusion states its not worth buying any of the 140mm fans tested, either go for the larger antec big boy 200 or read the 120mm fan roundup.

hope that helps

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We spoke to a few manufacturers about the poor performance from the 140mm fans we tested. What it boils down to is that you can't employ the same design that you do with 120mm fans with 140mm fans. It just doesn't work well. the Antec BigBoy is pretty much the only decent fan above 120mm but it looks and feels very different. Hopefully manufacturers will start to realise that 140mm is becoming more popular and spend some money on R&D!