1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scythe: 5.25inch Boom Box for your PC

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Guest-16, 15 Feb 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

5.25inch Boom Box for your PC

Scythe Co., Ltd (Tokyo, Japan) announces the 5.25inch boom box for PC system. This 5.25inch build-in type bay speaker provides a quality stereo sound despite of its restricted dimension and power. Quad build-in concaved shaped speakers to maximize the sound power. Black, silver and white colors are available to match with your PC case front panel, and silver finished speaker doom to provide the luxury appearance to your PC system. Volume controller and power ON/OFF switch are build-in as an extra feature. Still suspicious in the quality of this speaker sound? Try it for your own to hear the sound and feel the quality of this 5.25inch bay boom box!! For further details and specifications of this item, please refer to the below.

Model Name:
    Kama Bay 5.25inch Speaker

Model Number:
    SCBS-1000-BK (Black)
    SCBS-1000-SL (Silver)
    SCBS-1000-WH (White)

Dimension:
    148.5 x 100 x 42.5mm (WxDxH)

Output:
    1.5W + 1.5W (Stereo)

Speaker Type:
    2 Channel with Build-In Amplifier

Speaker Unit:
    1.25inch Concave Shape Metal Type

Input Connecter:
    Stereo Mini Plug (3.5mm)

Power Source:
    DC 12V (4-Pin from PC Power Supply)

MSRP:
    19.00 (USD)
    15.00 (EURO) excl. VAT

http://www.scythe-eu.com/produkte/pc-zubehoer/kama-bay-speaker.html

2. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

pointless....

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

1.5W of peak voltage horrifying sound, tbh.

4. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Seriously.. how did they think this would sell?

5. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

It's a fairly old idea, actually. These have been around since at least 1999: http://dansdata.com/thor.htm

Still, I can see some advantages - it's a cheap, compact way to give Grandma sound. I wouldn't want to use them myself, but they can't be any worse than laptop speakers.

6. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

:S Scary stuff!

7. led_zeppelinzoso

led_zeppelinzoso What's a Dremel?

Yes, but these look cool. I might actualy get one for my new sff case

They look like some Ipod speakers I've seen.

Just a thought, for a laptop guy, does anyone make speakers for a laptop (or pc, whatever) that get power from usb, so you dont need to have a power adapter for your speakers?

8. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

9. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

What I'd really like to see is a 5.1 or even 7.1 amp that fits in you PC (i.e. 5.25" drive bay style) with say 40 or 50WRMS x 5/7, plus 100WRMS sub channel! It should have extentions out to a PCI bracket thingy with outputs from there. I would save on space with not having an outboard amp.

I reckon it would sell. Atleast I would buy it. :worried:

10. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

That's an excellent idea - I'd even buy a 2-channel version. As it stands, there are very few inexpensive ways to connect unamplified speakers to a computer, and most proper amps are as big as the whole computer. I've got several pairs of old speakers lying around that I'd love to connect directly to my computer.

11. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

This little boom box won't be any worse than alot of the crap/cheap speakers out there, besides the fact that the stereo effect is lost when both speakers are so close together.
    The biggest problem is the price - basic speakers can be had for half the price, but this has the advantage of being internal, no external power, so for people that just want some basic sound, it may be just what they are looking for.

As for the internal 5 x 50w + 100w subby amp - not an excellent idea i think, as where will you get all that power? You can't use the pc power supply, you'd want voltages like 5 x ~30v @ 50w, and you'd want 1 x 40v @ 100w - you'd have to throw a couple of big torodials in your pc case & the pc would appreciate a shielded/metal enclosure for them - torodials are great but there might still be enough noise to cause crashes maybe? The other thing is the torodials need 240v/110v. Even all the amps would like to be in shielded enclosures or you'd hear pc noise through the speakers.

Next consideration is the required extra ventillation for the 5.1 setup which = 350w you guys can do the math for the 7.1 setup.

It can be done i guess, not much harder than doing a big watercooling setup, you'd want a big case like one of those stackers or big server cases.