1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Doom 4 announced, id is hiring

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

SHOCK ANNOUNCEMENT

I really liked DOOM3

Good to see it's fairly poor sales and legendary pre-zero day piracy haven't discouraged ID from heading back to mars.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

wasnt expecting this

this is great news

hopefully we can get some mars surface action looking at tech 5 (dark version of serious sam would be pretty cool)

i hope they really pull out all the stops on this one

and team missions on the mars surface would be great

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

*checks book*

ID software are still cool by my book....

5. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

I liked doom 3, don't think it was ground breaking or anything and the fact I had it on pre-order for 22 months made it all the less exciting

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

haven't played doom since the first one - Will this one be good?

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i wonder if the uber high tech futuristic weapons developed for use in a facility prone to power cuts will have flashlights on them this time? :lol:

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Even the rooms that had working lights in them had some amazingly dark corners. Some night vision would be nice.

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Doom 3 scared me witless a few times, but it got very samey after a while. Still, I'm pretty much certain I'll buy this anyway.

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

They'll not do you that favor.

I for myself hate Doom3.

11. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, D3 had its problems but on the whole I liked it a lot. Creepy, made me jump a few times and although it looked a little plastic in places I thought it was very enjoyable.

Bring on D4, I'll definitely buy it.

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I know, its getting boring, but I'll say it again, the biggest problem I had with doom3 was that I coudnt find my way since everything looked exactly the same and orientation was simply impossible, running in circles Cheesecake...

I do hope though they hire the guy again who did the music for doom 3:rock:

Oh and please no toning down of violence just to get a lower age rating or avoid bans in countries like germany.

13. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

OVERJOYED!!!

this news has certainly cheered me up! I genuinely didn't think that a new doom would be coming and I am totally looking forward to this!

My thoughts: Keep the game dark as hell, give us a flash light with unlimited battery (maybe prone to flickering or something) or if you really got the balls, don't give us a flash light. or night vision. , give us beautifully macabre, give us hell on earth! Give us less ammo, you feel a lot less scared when you got every gun full to the brim with ammo. Team segments will be nice I'd love to see a baron of hell utterly tear an entire team apart, but i still think of doom as a mostly solitary experience. and no bloody vehicle sections like quake 4, they won't fit in.

I guess one of the questions thats gotta be raised is will it be more demanding than crysis is? Id got a reputation for that sorta thing. really can't wait....

14. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

I wont be buying Doom 4 unless the reviews say its a triple A classic Must Buy. I bought Doom 3 on nostaglia (Doom 1/2 whilst at university). Doom 3 was a demo for an indoor graphics engine providing your game was corridor based with zombies hiding in dark areas both in front of, and behind the player. That *was* the entire game. Sucked hard. Oh well.

Prove me wrongabout Doom4, and I *may* give you some money ID.

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I think i'm in the above camp, wait and see. tbh i prefered Q4 both were kinda by the numbers.

16. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Yep, D3 just didn't do it for me. Like lewchenko says, it was more or less corridors with baddies jumping out in front or behind you, when you walked past a magical line. It had nice graphics, at least those you could see as it was just too dark for my liking.

I'd love D4 if it had the same initial 'feel' as Doom or Quake had, though I suspect you won't see that anymore as those two games pretty much defined the 2d fps/sprite based genre and then the 3d based fps genre.

Anyhow, fingers crossed that for all the ££ id will spend on developing the game, they don't run out of funds such that they can't afford to code a few extra light bulbs in there! ;)

17. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

D3 was repetitive, but at the same, man could it scare the $%#^ out of you. I love the satanic visions with blood dripping down the wall, so badass!

18. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Doom4 = yawn

19. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Doom 3 was so bad you could tell when you were gonna get jumped at least in the first 2 you didnt quite know. Plus Doom is a fragfest not a take on one imp in each room.

We need wide open spaces as well as enclosed ones

20. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

nice.. good to hear ID is making another.. I'll certainly be following this one :)

Tags: Add Tags