1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte GA-GC230D Atom Mini-ITX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I don't understand why they included a Parallel port, completely redundant (imo).

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Can the two SATA ports be run in RAID1 from the BIOS? I'm looking at one of these for a fileserver, but if I have to go buy a PCI RAID card in addition to the other components, then a two drive NAS box (Around $200 with drives) starts looking pretty appealing.

4. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Yeah, but, I wouldn't say "completely" redundant as they are still used by programmers for hardware programming.

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Could this run OSX??

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, it's the vanilla ICH7 not the ICH7R. You can use something like FreeNAS though and do a Software RAID 1 - I've done that with my parents NAS box. It's no the fastest thing on earth, but it works.

7. Cthippo

Software RAID=FAIL

Reminds me why I don't buy Intel stuff anymore.

Thanks for the info though, Rich

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No problem. It's hardly surprising though considering the cost of the board, and a 2 port PCI SATA RAID card costs very little unless you want something hardcore.

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Performs pretty well for Atom board. Would make a good Office PC or perhaps a media PC.

10. Cthippo

More like something real. A lot of the cheap "RAID" cards don't have any onboard processing and just use a driver to offload it all onto the CPU. Granted, that may not be too much of a load, but if I'm flipping through images while listening to music, both from the fileserver, it can get pretty dicey at times.

In addition, finding linux drivers for a lot of those cheap cards can be near on impossible. It's basically the "winmodem" effect all over again.

11. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Why didn't you try overclocking it, just for laughs? I still have yet to see anyone overclock an Atom. It should clock really well too!

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It looks like it should be more responsive than my old epia m 1k. I'd consider replacing it but i'd need some way of passively cooling it. I've gotten quite used to working in complete silence.

13. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

The Atom is certainly an impressive design, but this is let down by the ancient chipset with its whopping TDP, lack of video support, networking and expansion options. With the majority of the features catered for by USB and onboard options, a PCI slot seems redundant - a PCI-Express x16 slot would have been a real boon for the enthusiast market.

I'm probably going to sit and wait for Mini-ITX v2.0.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It'll do between 1.8-2GHz, but it really doesn't give that much more performance.

Cthippo - unless you drop about the same amount as the entire Atom board for a "hardware" RAID card, you don't get any offloading - no motherboard comes with anything XOR-hardware, Intel ICH-R's included :)

Mr.D - Intel (very validly) pointed out that you get what you pay for, and if you wanted those extra features buy a Pentium Dual Core and a G45 mini-ITX board. (It just so happens that I got one today :D)

15. Vode

Vode What's a Dremel?

Are mITX boards (commonly) compatible with ATX/mATX cases? Or are the stand-offs all wrong?

Been thinking of knocking up a little 24/7 home server/NAS box. Was thinking an Eee Box for it's low power consumption, but this would be great - and I'd be able to use real hard drives :p

16. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Now that's more like it! Where do I get one and how much?

17. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If you put a plug-in DC/DC converter on that, won't it obscure the PATA port?

18. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

One thing they are doing very well is dropping the floppy port :)

As I have said before - I really want one but I cannot justify it, even if it is dirt cheap.

19. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Well there has been two Intel board iterations, with the more recent version similar to this gigabyte one being out there for quite some time now...

Anyways, I am very eager to try out an atom desktop board, but this legacy port business kills it for me. What is also irritating is that the mini-itx power options out there approach 75% of the cost of the Atom-integrated board itself.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2008
  20. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Well, intel's reference board, that this is based on, can (not saying it legally should :D)

These atom boards are pretty nice... now, if only I could find a decent small PSU in this god-forsaken country...

Tags: Add Tags