1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jackel, 11 Sep 2002.

1. Jackel

Jackel Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

Last edited: 6 Jun 2004
  2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

The first thing I would say is make damn sure you know what's involved in starting a hardware site. Many people just don't realise the extent of the effort you have to put in and the headaches you'll endure.

Second, no way, no how can a start up site justify the expense associated with dedicated hosting. A good virtual hosting account with a reputable company should be more than enough for your first 6 months. Perhaps even as many as 18.

3. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

theres really no need in having a dedicated server for your hardware site thats just getting off the ground.....most colo places usually cost anywhere from $100-$500/month for rackspace, plus u usually pay a few hundred dollars for setup......they usualy sell +100gigs of bandwidth with rackspace.......for a site that doesnt do that much traffic, like a site that is just starting out....u might need 1-2 gigs when u jsut start out....1 gig is usualy = to ~100,000 hits *just standard html, php, cgi stuff* you can usualy get that kinda of hosting pretty cheaply *take my plans for example: 500mb, 6gigs of transfer for $20/month* If you want to start out with some of the small plans, check out Alien-Host

as for bits bandwidth i bet the forums do atleast 10-50gigs of bandwidht alone....no telling how high the total bandwidth is.....

4. Jackel

5. bradford010

No thanks m8. I already co-own one of the UKs more popular sites. With what we've got lined up, about to become a whole lot more popular as well.

6. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

whats that is that the sound of a trumpet being tooted :lol:

from what i know cammy bit-techs traffic will be a absoloutely hideous abount due to sad acts like me with nothing better to do :lol:

7. bradford010

Yea, but notice Sam how I actually refrained from the shamefaced pimp? ;)

8. samuelellis

i could make a joke about your av looking like a aged pimp but im not going to :lol:

9. bradford010

DD is THE pimp!

10. Jackel

11. Jackel

12. bradford010

<homer>Tehehehe</homer>

A few tips I can give from our experience are

When starting out, get virtual hosting at the best price. Get all the features you can, but there's no need to go overboard.

When traffic warrants it, upgrade. At this point, features and reliability take precedence over price. We're in the process of doing this. The aim is to make any transition as seemless as possible.

As soon as you upgrade/buy into any hosting deal, you need to be thinking about your next. I'm already looking at potential dedicated hosting without letting it eat into too much of my time. That way, when the time comes, I'm well prepared.

13. Slink

Slink B7

OK here we go, if your in it for the free goodies and such, think again, it dosent happen, theres allways a price to something,

Be in it because you love hardware, and love teh industrie,

Have fun, enjoy it

14. samuelellis

damn my hope of a dual athlon with a terrabite of ram & 100's of terrabites of disk storage have gon down the drain :lol:

slinks right you wont get anything free unitl you ae a afarely big site & until then its buy your own as brad was telling me not long ago his wallet is almost permanantly empty :lol:

sorry could not resist

cammy if you really want to do this you may be better off trying to become a writer for an existing site

15. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

damn all u need is one of those unlimited bandwidth connections and ud be like half the hosts out htere :p

16. bradford010

It's true. I have thrown a lot of money at my articles, and most of them aren't even finished. At blagged we try to find a cheaper way to do cool stuff, but still maintain quality and that 'wow' factor. Of course, spread over several projects, it quickly gets expensive.

A great example of the more bang, less buck philosophy is Coolhand, who when he couldn't find a local dealer for cable braiding took it off nylon rope, which is of course cheap as chips ;)

I will freely admit that the stuff I choose to tackle is a mix of what I want to do, what I think people out there want to see and what I think would just be cool.

We're approaching 10 months now, and we are distinctly in 'middle' ground. We're getting more and more recognition, yet still get turned down for most of the stuff we ask for. Only when you really pull in the amount of traffic that warrants dedicated hosting will big companies take you seriously.

And if you're thinking of pulling in some money from advertising, forget it. If you're lucky, when you get to a point when advertisers think you're worth the effort, you may get enough to cover your hosting fees.

17. Jackel

Tags: