1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What Hardware Should I Buy? - Oct 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

thanks it was in stock earlier this morning when I was doing the final edit - I've updated with another retailer.

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Very nice article, I assume a lot of people will find that helpful and if anyone asks me questions in the new few weeks I will think them here. I already have one friend who wants me to "find him a motherboard and graphics card"

5. Valver

Valver I’m an AquaTuning product tester

I'd swap out the Blu Ray drive you list and replace is with an LG "GGC-H20L" £65 inc VAT (@Aria.co.uk for example) and it does Blu Ray *AND* HD-DVD playback. Along with the usual DVD and CD writing functions. With the current fire sale of HD-DVD films you can pick up a lot of 1080p content for peanuts!

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Yeah I've read the rest of this and it's great, well done :D

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Good idea guys, will come in very handy no doubt.

8. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Great article, just the sort of thing amateurs like me will find invaluable!

9. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Scan have a Palit 4850 with a different cooler design for £103.40 http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=883439

And a Palit 9800GT with different cooler for £83.41 come to that. http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=863106

10. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This is fantastic, while I manage to keep on top of the gpu and cpu market, I rarely know what to buy when it comes to mobo's or cases. This monthly feature really boosts bit-tech in my eyes :D

11. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

+1
    Great new feature, and makes comparing all the various options for competing products/upgrades much easier! Thanks guys!

12. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

you cant get much better than the sharkoon rebel series for the price in terms of cases i have a rebel 12 for my home server and rebel 9 for my development pc

13. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Very good :) these are always handy btw hd dvd is only 1080i not p but hes right the movies are hella cheap

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

is this a new thing you're going to be doing monthly, or have you been doing it for a while and i've missed it? either way, great guide. should save a few people from having to ask these questions in the forums.

15. Valver

er, retail HD-DVDs are all 1080p, what are you on about?

16. Valver

and just to back that up:

"All movie titles released so far have had the feature encoded in 1080p, with most supplements in 480i or 480p. Almost all titles are encoded with VC-1..."

plus, I have 35 HD-DVDs that all play at 1080p ;)

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's the first time we've done it and the plan is to re-release an updated version every month. We're already thinking of adding a bit more into it as well but we're keen to hear suggestions from the community on that front. :)

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Maybe you could have sub-categories, like, hardware for media centres, hardware for gaming, hardware for serving, and the different price ranges in them. Also bit-tech could push into a high-end server market and get some adepts from that area.

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I really really like this feature :D

I have a few suggestions:
    1. Make a connection between these articles and the hardware reviews. "will the new xxx from xxx make it into our budget-gaming build?" That kinda thing.
    2. I'd like to see one last page that lists the three builds in an overview. Just a simple table with which piece goes in each build that you could copy-paste to the people asking for advice you mentioned on the first page. It would be a true premium if you could build a table that lists and totals the price for each build with those nice pricelinks you use everywhere. :thumb:
    3. Drop the fixed budget, and instead focus on what the numbers represent: Budget, high-end and power user. That way, the numbers will not become silly over time like they did in the Best Buy Guide that your Dutch friends from Tweakers.net compile every two months, and you won't have to make silly choices just to fit a fictional budget.
    4. keep doing this!

:D

Last edited: 2 Oct 2008
  20. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

agreed, what a great idea

Tags: Add Tags