1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What Hardware Should I Buy? - Nov 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Concerning Gigabyte EP31-DS3L - do you know that you can use only two double sided RAM modules? Though you recommended 4 GB corsair kit, if someone buy less RAM with later upgrade in mind, they would have to buy new MB. Intel's northbridge in #31 chipset series is pretty limited.

3. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Also, check the price of the 4GB Corsair XMS2 kit - it's since dropped another fiver to £39.99 on Ebuyer (which was bloody handy as I was in the market for a 4GB kit - kaching!!).

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

To be honest, It's a budget board, so is always going to be feature light. The important thing is it gets the basics right, while offering good overclocking options at a very reasonable price. We could easily have just picked a better P45 board, with it's much better northbridge, south bridge and a whole lot more board features, but the increased price wouldn't have made much sense in the affordable hardware range.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

**edited**

It's dropped a fiver since yesterday!

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yep up to 4GB of memory is supported, but the need for >4GB of memory is just not there from a low end PC. I can't fathom the need for 8GB of ram under normal circumstances. By the time you feel the need for more, the chances are that you've outgrown the motherboard anyway.

For £45 you've got a great overclocker, four SATA for a few hard drives, and enough ram to support the latest games and virtually every application out there bar workstation.

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Once again guys a nice roundup. I would very much love to have your job lol.

8. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Crikey! And they've got 1100+ in stock, so they're not going to run out any time soon. Bargain!

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I like the table view its much easier to see what your doing for reference once you've read the article, especially in the cases where the product is the same as last month as you don't have to flick through the whole thing again.

The jump on the budget rig is quite noticeable my brothers not going to be pleased he's been saving for a fallout rig for a few months now and this is probably going to set him back further, poor brother.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yesterday night, no less!

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

How feasible is it for you guys to knock up these systems in these articles and benchmark them, it would be nice to see relative performance for the price in these articles?

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

It'd take a lot more organisation to get specific components in and it'd mean that the article wouldn't happen every month (and therefore wouldn't be as up-to-date). The £400 PC for example took about two months of organisation, testing and article compilation (around other articles) because parts weren't available and Scan had to ensure good stock levels.

Plus, there's the current volatility in the market which could mean that some products we thought we'd recommend go up in price and there are better alternatives around - as you've seen, the Corsair memory dropped over a fiver between 11pm last night and 9am this morning unbeknownst to us.

Also, we've covered nearly all of the products recommended in the article before on the site with supporting benchmark data (the main exception being hard drives, but that's something we're working on changing...)

13. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i have this board and i have to say that i think its an absolute steal for the money. i can honestly say i have never had a more stable board (and ive had a couple of asus')

the double sided memory thing is a limitation, but one that i have just overcome by buyng a 4GB kit and flogging my 2GB. the chipset features may not be perfect for the high end market, but at this price point there just isnt a better product.

14. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Well, if you buy 2 or 4 GB then it should be OK. 2 / 4GB is enough for almost anything

15. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Again, great article, it's very useful to get a roundup of the state of the market at the moment.

One thing though, all your ATCS 840 links are directed to your Lian Li V1110 review.. some kind of subtle hint there? ;)

16. Matticus

Matticus ...

Another very nice article. The grid layout of each makes it easy to print off, or copy into a word document to show someone, or for that someone to show their parents or other PC funders.

In the picture of the HX1000 is one of the modular connection parts broken? The top right one of the four blue connections.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks for spotting that - duly corrected!

18. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i love the sharkoon rebel series (9 amd 12) and they are very reasonably priced i would love to see how they copare to the el;ite 330

19. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Except for in the table ;)

dun, table was updated, but page wasn't...

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The Antec P182 has dust filters, as far as I am aware.

Tags: Add Tags