1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: SilverStone Raven RV01

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Jan 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Finally someone dared to speak up against that thing.

It is made of the same materials as a 20£ case.

It is ugly (ok I amdit, that depends on presonal preference).

It has little to no cable managment.

A molex connector for a HDD? what did they smoke? I bet less than 1% of those who buy a 170£ case have IDE Hdd's.

Hotswap for one HDD? lol

3. Ghast

Ghast uh...

While it does have its faults, I would not be surprised at all to see this 'vertical' Mobo design adapted for more cases. I can see it being a big hit with smaller cases that are placed in tiny areas so that the heat can escape up top (duh) rather than out back, toward a wall.

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

that's disappointing. A "vertical" case should never ever have any of these problems. Do the designers not sit down and ask themselves:

1) who is going to buy this case?
    2) what do they want to see?
    3) what kind of system will they install?
    4) what are our competitors doing?

To be honost i was pretty excited about this case, as the vertical positioning really makes sense to me. I would want to see cable management taken seriously inside and outside, space for 6 or 8 3,5" HDDs, a bay for 2,5" HDDs (why does no case have this yet?), less wasted space on 5,25" bays, and a good build quality, be it alu or steel.

Silverstone people, if you read this: do those things first and THEN let the boys at the design office play with their complicated shapes. Please do not compromise on build quality for design. Clearly the plastic was chosen here to accommodate those shapes.

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I would rather have Jade Goody sitting on my desk than that ugly POS.

6. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

was planning on trying out the vertical aligment myself, but with connectors downwards and modified heatsinks. i'd like to see if it really makes any difference. nice of bit tech to try out for me:d

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

not a horrible looking case design IMO. terrible cable management design. they should have the cables from the I/O port of the motherboard run down the back of the case inside another panel as well as having a small part that opens on the top to use the extra USB ports and such.

Window could be bigger to show off more.

Make the case out of aluminum!

Either hotswap on all hdd bays or none at all.

I still dont get the deal with make every single thing in a case tool-less. Its ugly!

cool idea for vertical mobo though!

8. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

What, no rating? No "conclusion"?

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's a "First Look" - i.e. Preview. We haven't had chance to install our standardised test equipment in the case yet, so we don't know how it performs comparatively against the competition.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

DO NOT WANT

11. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Sinfully ugly, hugely overpriced (to echo the article - £170 for steel and plastic - WTF?) and massively impractical. FAIL.

12. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

would consider buying the case to turn it into a big modding project, fixing everything that's wrong with it. ie. rip out the mobo tray and replace it with one from another case that has better routing etc. i quite like the "stealth bomber" inspired exterior, and the 90 degree rotation of the mobo tray is intriguing. might also make it inverted-atx so that the intake on the graphics card is facing the front rather than the rear (going from the pictures not much air is fed from the rear of the case?)

13. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

The "back panel" is just smooth so you could easily mod a grill into there for GPU intake?

That's a very strange looking case! Props to them for trying something different though! Looks to me like there needs to be a bit more of a gap between the IO and top shield - that DVI connector looks to be in a badly bent angle!

Having all the connectors on the top is a good idea in itself, not just for cooling. Having to reach round the back of the case to plug stuff in is annoying!

14. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Type 'Epic Fail' into ICHC

More fun than looking at that case....

15. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I'd say they have definitely missed an opportunity to have a large slow spinning intake on the back of the case to provide extra cooling for multiple gpu setups, especially as the intake fans for the gpus are on that side too! I also agree, £170 for steel and plastic is very disappointing.

16. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

Does anyone else think:

OMFG, BATMOBILE?

17. glenster

glenster glenster

I mainly want the best case for being quiet (for making music with Cakewalk),
    cool (for getting the bargain from an overclocked Core i7 920), and keeping the
    dust out. I wonder if this case or which could be the one?

18. Undercloacker

Undercloacker AirFlow

Will it Blend? cuz i surely like it better that way :S

19. _phae_

_phae_ What's a Dremel?

I actually like the design but there are areas that I would like to see in a v2.
    Such as; brushed aluminium and the rear being able to house a large rad. and provide a mesh.
    I might just get something else now...

20. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Good idea and very bad implementation of that idea. It looks incredible big and yet there is no space inside at all, seems they wasted the space on fancy plastic design junk and a motorized door witch is done before and also epically failed in the history of failed PC cases.

Man I really really need to design my own case...

Tags: Add Tags