1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IE trails browser benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I think it was wrong to include opera 10 as it's a alpha version, they should have included 9.6 or so instead.

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

the graph shows firefox scoring around 1.5 sec, and the text says 2.5

which to believe?

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It's not so strange, that the regular WebKit engine fares slightly worse than one used in Chrome, since rendering engine as such isn't tested. What is tested is the JScript performance, and Chrome uses its own V8 engine for that. AFAIK, the regular WebKit uses something else.

5. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

But then it wouldn't have been a test of next generation browsers anymore. Since they're all pre-release, any of them could improve. All this really proves is that Opera and Microsoft have more work to do than the rest.

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Both - 1.5 sec is well under 2.5 sec!

7. Goty

Goty Minimodder

They probably didn't include Safari because the windows version couldn't complete the test without crashing...

=P

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well, I gave IE8 a try and I think it's far better than IE7 still I'm running FF 3.1 Beta 2 right now.
    And if they wanted to make it a next gen comparison why not include FF 3.2? Opera is alpha so I don't see why not include the 3.2a1pre of FF.

Might actually give it a try later.

9. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

IMO Chrome is much faster than its competitors. Although a bit buggy.

10. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

i personally think they should either test all betas all alphas or all release candidates otherwise its not really a fair showing imo

they should also show benchmarks for the current stable versions of said browsers (IE7, Opera 9.xx FF 3.0.xxetc etc)

11. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

Firefox RULES!!!! and thats it,......done......no more talking about it. Joking :p

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I think the reason they tested the versions they did is because these are the first versions to include the javascript acceleration technologies.

13. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Isn't FF3.1 in beta 2? And doesn't Beta 2 have the new Java engine on default and beta 1 doesn't? I think they need to improve on which versions they are using.

14. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

<3 Chrome, and it's fastest - Just so simple, it seems like opening an explorer window to surf the web, Firefox, Ie and Opera all seem far too cluttered when/if you go back to them :l

15. eXpander

eXpander What's a Dremel?

I`m also a FF fan, been using it for 1year, but I uninstalled version 3 after 4 days. Got really pissed when I was dld-ing a 1.4GB file and while browsing, FF crashed and my dld stopped (I already got 1GB down). And I couldn't resume it, so had to wait another hour for it to re-dld it.
    Is very buggy and crashes alot. I can`t do a decent 5min browse without it going down.

I switched to Chrome, which is much more stable.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you guys should try the 64 bit version of IE in vista.. it's just like opening a window- just most of the plugins today are still 32-bit =\ I use firefox here with pimpzilla- but if you write websites, IE can be a pain in the ass as it displays things differently.. the only other one you really have to worry about is safari.. usually write for gecko browsers then come back and put in any extra for IE

java performance.. I used to do some java years back- but mainly flash nowdays.. runescape is java =] it runs fullscreen too anfy rolled over twice off his fat wife when he saw those guys in the uk write that :D

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

why was FF3.1b1 used when FF3.1b2 has been out for a while?

Tags: Add Tags