1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte’s P55 mobo sports mystery Intel connector

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 7 Mar 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

interesting connector, will this TurboBoost allow Intel to jump over cars and stuff? (sorry, been watching Knight Rider)

without northbridge on the motherboard, i hope they can now sell a good featured high-end motherboard for under £100

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

eXtended Debug Port...

I doubt they'll be using it for that any more though.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i was hoping it would be intels own super fast connector for a new range of SSD's.

5. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

It looks a bit like the surface mount connector that the LCD connects onto in a laptop, or that kind of thing anyway, so perhaps something that's come from a mobile design?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ahh that makes more sense. I was confused when he said it was a new feature from Intel - thought I'd never seen that before!

7. alwayssts

alwayssts What's a Dremel?

Hey Rich,

I think it's a case of "PR guy needs to spend more time with engineers-itis".

P55 boards support Turbo Memory (Robson). The port used is a mini pci-e express slot. My guess is that he was either confused, or the debug slot is being used until the slot is incorporated. There's always the possibility he meant they were debugging for turbo mode (and perhaps a button/switch) but my personal guess is he didn't really know wtf he was talking about. XD

8. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Pink, orange, green, yellow and blue. Why? Gigabyte make excellent boards, I just wish they were more subtle!

9. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

live demo's what due at Computex?

Edit: That's strange, the inverted comma doesn't show up in the quote on the comments but it is there in the forum!

10. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Eww, please remove that apostrophe. Hurts my eyes =O

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hang on, 4 DDR3 ports? Not 3, not 6.. but 4..? Is the memory not to be triple-buffered/triple data rate?

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Core i5 is dual channel DDR3-1333. It's mainstream so it's cheaper to buy faster memory than it is an extra stick.

I knew an updated TMem was coming with 4-8GB of fast NAND, instead of 1GB like with the original TMem, but I didn't know whether it was a new port or other feature. PR people rarely know the technical sides, we talk directly with engineers for reviews so I had to trust and reprint his words when it came to news because I simply haven't looked into next gen TMem until now.

13. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

A true man is a man even when his motherboard sports pink memory slots.

No, seriously, I think Gigabyte lacks only 2 or 3 colors to complete a rainbow. Then, the only feature they will lack is glitter.
    Asus' black death design Cheesecake! :(

14. GigaMan

GigaMan GIGABYTE UK

XDP_PCH = Secret, Secret

BTW, we do know "WTF" we talking about... like I say, its secret and we will not any of you what is it.
    I guess you will have to keep coming back to Bit-tech and find out more - haha

This is not the final version/release, Bit-tech will keep you posted on the new P55 - soon, very soon, I promise ;-o

15. shadow

shadow honky ponky

alastor is right :thumb: - it's eXtended Debug Port , probably only used in early design phase of the product

and there will be Braidwood module interface in next intel P57 chipset (not :nono: P55 which was shown at Cebit) ) to speed up all the PC:
    http://www.hwstation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2591

Tags: Add Tags