1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI X58 Pro

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

yuk. How much money can that crappy PCB really save?? Still, a fair budget choice for now I suppose

3. dec

dec [blank space]

ive always wondered where people came up with such ridiculous colors. now i know that there was only one color left in the office that everybody brings with them in the morning. that nasty coffee color

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

Wow, I am more concerned about the lavender sata ports than the brown pcb tbh.

I cannot understand why they thought brown pcb and lavender ports would be a viable choice for a £160 motherboard. If this was nice looking then it would really get people into i7s, but if this is what you can expect from the low end of i7 boards then there is no point for most to move away from their c2s.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Poor Lavender at MSI! You are so mean to her!! She's really a very nice lady I'll have you!

6. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

who cares what colour it is. Its a computer. If you want to spend the extra on having somthing nice to look at, go spend it.

7. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

absolutely. what i see here is a board that is competing directly with the likes of 790FX and all those hoping to get a free core out of a Phenom II X3 and saving money in the long run. This just made that choice a bit more difficult as a cheap (ish) corei7 build.

still, £400 on a mobo and "entry level" CPU is still mad money, remembering that you still need to cough up at least another £100 for some decent DDR3

i say bravo, not everyone cares what colour their PCB is as long as the end result works and pwns their 3DMark scores.

8. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

We do have another cheap)ish) Core i7 board in the pipeline which looks a bit better - just have to finish the write-up, but we're aiming for early next week. Anyone thinking that you have to settle for poo-brown PCBs on cheap Core i7 boards should be pleasantly surprised...

9. lemel

lemel bit-tech.net n00b.

Why is everyone so brownist, who could live without coffee and chocolate?

10. TheStick

TheStick What's a Dremel?

Apparently if you use the bios for the X58 Pro SLI with the X58 Pro the X58 Pro will gain the ability to run SLI. Meaning they are probably identical in terms of hardware with the bios enabling SLI.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea we just found that out this morning, after we posted the review :(

We were going to do something about an update..

12. TheStick

TheStick What's a Dremel?

Oh, right :)

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

guys lol its just colors, but I guess I concern myself more on function then form ~_~

Just get yourself a CM V10, and a couple of Bricks (GTX 295) and you wont have to worry about looking at the motherboard lol as it will be hidden behind that hardware =p

14. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I just wanted to let you know that some of the clickable pics on page 2 don't work :)

15. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

So its going to be a fashion parade that determines the outcome of the review :D

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fixed!

17. ¦Cold¦

¦Cold¦ What's a Dremel?

I think the point is it probably would have cost them almost nothing to add a different colour to the PCB during manufacturing, but they left it brown to intentionally put people off by thinking it's a budget model so they'd buy their higher end products.

Which is false logic anyway, seeing as I'd rather have the Gigabyte UD4P or P6T Deluxe.

18. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Yeah, but think of it this way: if MSI was the only purveyor of X58 boards, that might work well. But they aren't, and not every board maker will make their budget boards look hideous. If I bought one, I'd surely create air ducts to cover some of that uglyness.

19. i7lova

i7lova What's a Dremel?

How would one go about doing this? I have the MSI x58 Pro board and was more interested in going SLI than Crossfire!

20. brokenmonkey

brokenmonkey What's a Dremel?

I have this in a red case with red LEDs and you can't even tell that the PCB is brown.

Tags: Add Tags