1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve looking at L4D1 and L4D2 crossplay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That was an awful pun, Joe. Awful :(

Side note: this is the very least they could do here. Hinting at maybe more content is still not what was promised.

I'd feel better if they just came out and said "We're breaking that promise. STFU and buy the new game, or STFU and GTFO."

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

^ Nothing to add.

4. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

If they did some sort of L4D account system similar to the system employed by CoH or Guild Wars where you add products to your account and can move between that content freely, that might not be bad. I bought the campiagn-a-year for Guild Wars at the same price of the origional because it did not split the game up and I could still play with everyone.

Its good to see that they aren't completely ignoring the hardcore fans who have raised their concerns and may be trying to reach a middle ground.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

I am genuinely impressed by the damage control Valve is practising these last days.

Can a valve stop a flood of disappointement?

6. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

"The boycott can't be hurting Left 4 Dead 2 too much either, with pre-orders already double those for the original game."

pre-orders available?

7. human_error

human_error What's a Dremel?

To be honest the only annoying problem i foresaw with L4D2 was that there would be the community would be split between the haves and the havenots, allowing a form of cross-compatability would help resolve that one problem. The way i see it working is the cross compatability would work more as a backward compatability allowing L4D2 owners to play on L4D1 maps with L4D1 owners, and not L4D1 being able to play on L4D2 maps or with the L4D2 AI director.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Wouldn't this just be far easier to add this as premium DLC? Steam has the capacity to do this now so I don't see why they're bothering to make it a sequel.

Also, it's not really that surprising that L4D2 has more pre-orders than L4D. Not a whole lot of people had really heard of L4D and when most people looked at it they saw the graphics first. Now more people have played it, more people are aware of how awesome a game it is and the majority of people who are pre-ordering it aren't the people who followed the development of L4D and know what valve promised their customers.

9. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Just what I wanted!

10. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

If the really manage to do this, this would be tottaly awesome!

11. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

they should just release it as an add-in for pc and new game for xbox, problem solved

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

They won't do it as DLC, not now they've commited to a sequel.

They should have, yes, but they won't and probably can't.

I can't remember whether it was Lombardi or Faliszek that cited the size as an issue, but apparently he's not been made aware of Steam or the Xbox Market Place..

13. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

No wonder they work together, what with L4D2 being just an expansion :p

14. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

Tired of all this L4D2 is "just an expansion".

Do you know what it is? Have they done any serious previews, reviews, insights into the game? Does anyone really appreciate what features and new mechanics they're creating?

Hold fire - see what actually is released then judge it!

Brooxy likes this.
  15. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Quoted for speaking the truth. Have some rep :)

Also the new one looks like it has more variation than 'hit them with the gun' when it comes to hand to hand combat - so at least something is new - or at least that's that the trailer on Xbox Live shows...

16. bbshammo

bbshammo What's a Dremel?

LOL, is this a case of SPOILED gamers or just a bunch of generally bitter and miserable, or even cognitively challenged people?

The point is, 99.9% of all the anti L4D2 bitchers likely complain about everything in life regardless of facts; L4D2 is just the flavour of the month to them.

As far as I'm concerned Valve are just taking this as a great opportunity to communicate as directly as possible with their audience, but odds on most of the nay-sayers have concluded some slight victory here in apparently forcing Valve to explain...

... THEIR RESPONSE WOULD HAVE EMERGED IN SOME FORM OR OTHER AT SOME POINT ANYWAY!!

Most likely post-release just as every other seminal Valve title to date.

There isn't a shred of historical evidence to support the notion that Valve have ever, or will ever "abandon" gamers or any of the other ridiculous inferences made by the boycotters.

That boycott list may as well be referred to as a list of very "special" people, if you get my drift.

Oh how soon have some people forgotten the CONSTANT twaeking to perfectly balance the game - How many oter titles from other devs are tweaked to perfection like this?

What about the frankly large survival update and rest of the campaigns?

Valve have categorically exceeded expectations with L4D already, but there'll never be any pleasing the boycotter types...

... The more they get, the more they complain, moan, bitch, and whine.

The most frustrating thing is their utter noobness compounding the issue.

I'm refering to those online I've had the pleasure of sharing opinions with on this matter. Almost 100% have been the worst players in the match concerned... Charging off alone to be rescued again and again, leaving team-mates to fend for themselves, shouting at other players for nothing and so on... Generally unpleasant people.

OK, rant over... I promised myself not to pipe up, but after recent in-game debates and some of the responses on this thread, I couldn't help myself ;)

17. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

same graphic engine, tweaked AI director, different characters, day-light missions, melee weapons & a bunch of new zombies... sounds more like an expansion than a new game (sorry L4D fanboys but it's the truth!) Even after I saw the gameplay videos and the interviews, I barely saw a difference between both games... in the end you are just killing zombies

I bet the have already worked the crossplay issue between both games since, well... it's the same game!

Booooring

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's probably the most moronic comment I've read today, sorry.
    Killing zombies is part of 50% of all shooters [the rest being soldiers, preferably in WWII, and aliens]. So what you're saying is that all these games are the same?

Yes, slightly exaggerated and out of context but seriously, that is just... but I already said that.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

i have had the game for 8 months and barely played it... not because its bad but because i am still waiting for friends to aquire it haha. I guess that'll never happen

20. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

dude if all the FPS you play have zombies on them, then let me tell you that you are missing A LOT OF GOOD GAMES out there... However, I understand your point of view... It's got to be a lot easier to kill mindless zombies with your Xbox gamepad than to play a REAL multiplayer game

too bad my harmless post crashed against your subjective fanboyism... but then again, Valve's marketing dept loves people like you. Ready to buy the next big "sequel'' without ever questioning if what your are really buying is worth it (just because is "new")

way to go bro

Tags: Add Tags