1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia denies x86 chip plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

3. tohdom

tohdom What's a Dremel?

yeah, i am confided that nvidia's x86 cpu will be good solution.
    An i think it is smart for NVidia to hide the development of x86 at this early stages.
    It would me stupid to announce "yeah, CPU is important, we will be creating them in the future, meanwhile, stick to the Intel's CPUs"

4. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I think another player in the cpu market would be good for high end consumers. AMD hasn't been competitive at the high end for a few years now.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I though that Nvidia lacks an X86 license from Intel. Without it, it would be illegal for them to make X86 CPU's.
    I can see Nvidia sticking to two areas:
    1) GPU's and parallel processing
    2) ARM based ultra low powered systems, including an eventual "system on a chip" design.

6. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Why is he holding a Emmy? x86 isn't exactly the best system for the type of computing Nvidia is interested in anyway.

7. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

+1

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

X86 requires to have a license form Intel... Nvidia won't do that. They will release a true x64 CPU, so they only have to made a licensing deal with AMD which will be MUCH more easy.
    That, or they are working on another Tegra chip. Or interestingly enough, they create a new CPU, and will have to try to convince Microsoft to make Windows support it. :)
    My guess is on the true x64 CPU, as it's more realistic.

9. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'd have thought the opposite was true. MS are trying to get Windows onto mobile low powered devices. That means they're more likely to make an ARM version of Windows than a whole new architecture. There's more market growth potential.
    We all know how popular Itanium was when Intel tried it. MS already has the desktop market sewn up, why waste money on a new OS for a market segment you already dominate.

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well, they nabbed a ton of Transmeta devs, and Transmeta's Crusoe was a VLIW processor with an onboard x86 decoder, so it ran x86 as emulation. Depending on how they did it, either they could end up with quasi-x86 compatible GPUs or a hybrid architecture CPU that can do some interesting things.

nVidia's gearing up for something, we just have to determine what.

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

However they enter the market it is going to be a good thing, more competition is always good for us consumers. I just hope when they release new cpus its not because someone in the marketing department jumbled a few letters and numbers around.

12. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

As I understand it, AMD's x64 ownership refers to an extension to the x86 instruction list. Without x86, x64 is useless. It would have to be a completely new 64-bit instruction set, which would require completely new support from OS makers. The ARM CPU is the most likely CPU platform Nvidia will go with.

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Isn't AMD 4-bit extension, called AMD64?!

14. tohdom

tohdom What's a Dremel?

yeah, i read somewhere about x86 emulation too. They do not need a licensee if they gonna do their own cpu and just emulate x86 commands for the x86 software. Hopefully, that is the case :)

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

will it be based on the 200 series? XD

autti than emmy is for his two night stay at the golden palace

Tags: Add Tags