1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple cleans App Store of smutty apps

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Hahahahah! iFAIL! AGAIN! If apple doesn't like it, you can't have it. Enjoy!

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I think thats so stupid. Bikini apps are forbidden but you could open the browser and surf all the pr0n you want.

4. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

That is getting beyond ridiculous. Didn't they flaunt the addition of parental controls when 3.0 came out? I was under the impression that it would allow R rated apps in the store.

Ah, well, there goes my brilliant idea of being rich :(

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Right, when you buy an iPhone or sign up as an iPhone dev, you sign a pact with Steve which says your eternal soul belongs to him. That I get, and it's a deal many people are willing to accept to get their hands on what is undisputably THE most desirable handset of all time, or (in the case of devs) to open the door to a vast pool of users champing at the bit to pay you for your app. But to change the rules after the fact, and revoke existing apps, is unacceptable. These apps were approved, and obviously met Apple's previous guidelines. Devs spent good time working on them in the reasonable expectation of a return on their invested efforts. For Apple to move the goal posts with retroactive effect is just not cricket.

Let's leave aside the nonsense of censoring iPhone apps when the iPhone comes with a fully featured (well, minus Flash support) browser that can access any naughty site on t'internet.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I wonder what percentage of the people complaining is compared to the rest of the user base. I bet it's a small minority ruining it for everyone else.

Oh, and this doesn't help Apple users with their image of, how to put this inoffensively, sexual persuasion ;)

7. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I have no problem with Apple doing this. I've seen most of the skin-apps and they are crap tbh. It seems a much better route for Apple and for the sake of children and parents to go the family-friendly route.

Good move.

8. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Well parents have to enable parental controls in order for them to work and we all know most people who have Macs don't want to have any options or settings so they don't enable them.

9. FreQ

FreQ What's a Dremel?

I don't have an iPhone and I doubt I'd pay for wobbling boobs if I did own one, but the precident this sets has got to be challenged.

This is PC gone mad. So what if a few over-protective mothers complained or if someone is offended by a boob silhouette; there are people offended by absolutely everything and if companies start pandering to their every demand, where does it stop? I still find it amazing the American culture seems to find guns acceptable but quivers at the mention of some naked flesh and it seems to filter into American company culture.

It's been said already. Make an adult section to keep the delicate ones safe yet still offer the choice to everyone if they do want something R rated. All Apple's method will do is drive normal people into underground methods like jailbraking their phones.

Hoping we get more competition so that people can vote with their wallets.

10. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

funniest part: they banned apps from indie developers, but they let sports illustrated and playboy stay. double standards anyone?

11. DocWolfe

DocWolfe What's a Dremel?

What is a 'kid' doing with a £500 iPhone in the first place. There's too many parents out there with too much money obviously.

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

You know, the best part about this is that parents can set the iPhone to lock their kids out of the app store. But expecting people to parent, over the moral outrage of "You're a huge company, you have to babysit everything for us!!!!!one".

Yeah.

13. AngusW

AngusW mmm

i'd have probably bought an iphone for wobble iboobs, sounds like hours of fun! Oh well apple you fail (i wouldnt really have bought one anyway..) Its hypocritical for them to let playboy keep there app though

14. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

What's the betting they have some contract with Playboy etc? By this logic they should remove all albums with skin on the covers from the iTunes store. I can see that going down well. Still, not in the least bit surprised.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

We have a winner! I was wondering when someone would point this out :)

Putting aside my "Righteous Indignation" hat for a moment, all I have to say about the subject is this: if you will buy into a closed system where the manufacturer/owner has final say over what runs on their device, you absolutely have to expect this kind of thing.

17. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

What i don't quite understand is the reason for it being removed... People were claiming it was degrading, simple solution - don't download it....

Spose in the land of litigation we live in, there's not a lot Apple can do.... "zomg ir suez youz as my child was wobblingz someonez boobiez coz of the appz on yourz storez......"

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Why are parents buying such expensive phones for their precious little lambs?

The kids will have to make do with Frontal Assault on the PC if they can't now get Wobble iBoobs on the phone they shouldn't really have.

19. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Apple Inc. just keeps getting more insane with each passing year.

20. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

A lot of kids have iPod touches, which also has app store access. :-|

iPhones aren't that expensive now anyway, a refurb 8gb 3G is $50 right now, and most people don't mind the contract, especially with family plans.

Tags: Add Tags