1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Scan 3XS Cyclone PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

A very nice build. Especially the case in which you could fit a rad for cpu or gpu cooling and keep the size small. Also a good choice to use the WC for the 480 instead of the cpu.

3. blood69

blood69 What's a Dremel?

QUOTE "PCs running an air-cooled Radeon HD 5870 instead of the GTX 480 will not only be much cheaper, but will also perform very similarly in the majority of games."

And it's the end of it, imagine 5870 watercooled what it can deliver.

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Perhaps replace the GTX480 with a Asus Matrix HD5870, watercool it and clock the nuts off of it. Perhaps we could see way more than 1ghz on the core?

Heck I would love to see what a air of W/C Asus Matrix's could for eyefinity but thats a different thread altogether.

Perhaps I could make a suggestion to bit, could you please add the GPU to the gaming results? I know you have stated that the Prometheus comes with a HD5870 in the conclusion buts it would be useful to have this information when looking directly at the graph (especially considering you have 5 or 6 systems listed).

Overall this system seems pretty good by scan and comes at a reasonable cost, it does have a few drawbacks though. The PSU is potentially a bit weak (Hexus noted that absolutely maxed out the system can pull very close to the PSU's maximum rating - not leaving much wiggle room) and the lack of a SSD is a dissapointment.

A big thumbs up to cable management though, it really looks like they have thought about this build right from the start rather then building it and then trying to hide cables.

A quick query - given that the roof of the case appears to have enough room for the raidiator and the fans why couldn't they have fitted the fans in a push configuration (below the raidiator instead of above it)? - I don't know much about this case so I don't know if there is something that would block that sort of configuration.

5. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

Pre-built PC = Yawn.

That GTX480 is a beast though.

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Hot air would be blown into the CPU cooler. Not exactly ideal.

7. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

If you look closely on the pic below,

[​IMG]

you can make out that the case's metal frame splits the top compartment in two. There's only room for fans in the top half under the plastic shroud, I cant' fit even the 34mm thick Swifty rad there.

Besides, there's general agreement that low rpm fans perform better in pull configuration anyways.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2010
  8. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I feel the GTX480 was the only right choice for this build as it is the single card champ in the heavy weight division. The watercooling is like putting Mike Tyson in a Hannibal Lecter mask, all the awesome punch power but without the nasty earbite.

Arkanrais likes this.
  9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

How exactly? If you have fans on the underside of the raidiator in a push configuration they would be blowing air through the radiator and out of the top of the case. They would have to be in a pull config to pull air down through the case into the cpu cooler.

SlowMotionSuicide - Thanks for the response. I see now from the linked picture that my query wouldn't work as the case has the seperator at the top (and odd design in my mind).

10. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

That's a lovely looking build but am I right in thinking the 690 II has no window? ...so you can't see it! Shame!!!

Just one other little niggle... why a 920 rather than the newer 930 ...that just seems a little mean.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Cost I imagine.

12. bw67958

bw67958 What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing that the inclusion of the Gigabyte board is using the same cpu (920 overclocked) or is it a different one?

13. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

I'd guess that Scan are just trying to shift the last of the 920's.

14. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

would be better with 2x stock gtx 470's

15. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Cynical but probably true.

16. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Performance properly yes, but noise and stability might suffer. If there are to be two cards, it should be 2x 5850 or 5870 as they are more quiet and use less power.

17. Phil_Scan

Phil_Scan What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

I'm Phil from scan and work as part of the 3XS team that spec and build these systems,

Thanks for the great feedback :rock:

To answer a few questions,

A 5870 is available in this system using our configurator, we decided on the 480GTX as it has better raw performance and with the watercooling we were able to tame the heat and noise and also provide a 21% overclock :thumb:

We decided on the Intel 920 over the 930 for the simple fact that from an end users point of view they are the same both will overclock to 4Ghz (Prime95 stable - 24hours) yet the 920 costs around £50 less, again you can select a 930 when ordering.

Feel free to fire any other questions across and I will do my best to answer them :clap:

18. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Looks really neat and tidy inside.

Its good to know that all of that can run on a Corsair hX650 psu.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2010
  19. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

Isn't the PSU upside down?

20. Teh C

Teh C Arg

Most cases bottom mounted PSUs have a vent in the floor with a dust filter so that the PSU can draw in cool air from underneath the case. It tends to be much better for PSU temperatures than it drawing in air that may be coming off the graphics card or cpu cooler for example.

Tags: Add Tags