News Rumour: Android 3.0 to target tablets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 1 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

My Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 is still stuck on 2.1 :(

Judging from Samsung's infamous support, it'll be like that forever.

3. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

I'm confused, aren't google meant to be developing Chrome OS to run on tablets too?

I've heard of competing with the opposition but not with yourself!?!?!?!?

4. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Harry, hero's stuck on 1.5. Sorry. But that's what my orange hero is on. 1.6 has the nicer looking market. 2.1 should be soon though.The rumoured timelines are getting shorter. I'm guessing august at this rate...

Android already was a serious advantage over the ipad with divx support, flash support, and unrestricted apps. HD support will just make it much more interesting. Hoping the Samsung tablet gets it, should be very pretty.

I wouldn't mind better native interface, I do like HTC Sense so I hope they base it on that.

October... approximate timing for the ipad iOS4 update? Considering the timing of 2.2... thats no coincidence.

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Orange Hero users can just use the update provided directly by HTC. You'll lose Orange customisations though.

6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

when is the 2.1 release due for hero?

7. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

After all the hype at work regarding the iPhone 4 (and multiple colleagues having them) I've been looking at Android powered phones. I'm definitely going to invest in one, obviously one that supports Gingerbread. I'm messin' about with the (Froyo) SDK and I can't wait to get my hands on one, it'll be my first Smartphone.

To all Android users, what are your impressions so far?

8. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

thats a massive loss. what would you do without all the crap orange put on?

pimonserry likes this.
  9. Sifter3000

We're currently debating this in the office - Harry seems convinced the update, even from HTC, is OTE only - meaning you have to wait. Are you talking about jailbreaking the phone then?

10. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

You ask about what an iPhone review should look like.....

Well, Android is a point of interest and more coverage like this is a good thing in my book. Very interested to see how Android develops.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Have to admit I'm most of all looking forward to a worthy successor to Nokia's N900 running MeeGo. Why? Because MeeGo supports Qt and Qt is pretty darn good for developing applications. Which I intend to do. :)

Also, as was previously said, wasn't ChromeOS targeted toward netbooks and -tablets?

12. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I've been chatting this over with manufacturer helplines lately and they all said "depends on the network". Then I walked into an Orange shop yesterday and he told me, HTC do all the OTA updates and it had nothing to do with the network.

The whole thing's a mess and that's why they can't beat Jobs (yet). 3.0 is THE one to watch...

13. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

There's clean dumps (about 40 of them...) of the ROM over on xda-developers, but I guess it counts as "jailbreaking" (we like to say rooting, us Android kiddies) to install a custom recovery image to flash it. If you did that, then why even bother sticking with a stock ROM? There is actually quite a bit of choice for the Hero in terms of custom ROMs.

In addition, if you're scared of voiding the warranty, you can run HTC's official update .exe files to restore every part of your phone to stock, including the custom recovery you need to flash custom ROMs. The only problem with that is that you might flash a newer bootloader and make your phone forever un-rootable.

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

depends how you define 'tablet'
    the HD2 and Droid X both have >4" screens, 512mb ram and 1ghz snapdragon cpus, are they tablets or phones?
    i would say phones

im hoping we see 4" 720p dualcore snapdragon phones in 2011, that would make me happy in the pants ¬_¬

edit: and yeah harry should definitely root and put a custom rom on his hero, forget waiting for HTC (or worse, your mobile provider) to pull their finger out and release an official update

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I would say a tablet would be around 8-12" in screen size to qualify.

16. Sifter3000

It's an interesting question, as Dell have the Streak - a 5in Android thing which they call a tablet.

17. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I don't see the problem with reducing 3rd party UI customisations.
    My HTC Desire seems to have two options (one HTC and one Android) for a lot of things. It's just not necessary.

18. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Can it phone people over the usual networks? If yes then its a phone. If no its a tablet. So far at least i havent seen any tablets that also try to be a phone.

19. ShaqArif

ShaqArif What's a Dremel?

It is a mess, and it doesn't help that the shop staff/helpdesks at Orange and 3 haven't got a clue - what you were told is totally wrong!

There are many frustrated users over at androidforums getting very annoyed over this. Essentially, if you have an unbranded phone (i.e. not tied in to any particular network), then you can update now, but Orange and 3 network customers have to wait a while until their networks release the update after testing. For 3, this is likely to be in the next couple of weeks:

(from androidforums)

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

the htc site norm does not work for network sold phones as the sn number is black listed to prevent up date norm you have to update from network operaters site or on the phone, rooting is norm the only way if in mobile op will not provide the update

Tags: Add Tags