1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD scores big in notebook graphics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I suspect that this is mostly the likes of the 5470 GPU that i've seen in loads of laptops recently around the £500 mark, plus the 4000 mobile series seemed to do quite well.

If you aren't particuarly bothered about serious gaming and just needed a half decent GPU for video acceleration, then i can see why they succeeded. Nvidia seemed to be focusing on mobile gaming GPU's recently.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

nah AMD former ATI has ALWAYS been strong in the Laptop market for GPUs since the 3xxx series to current, they had the better price point and offerings.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case for some time now. That's why this topic is actually news worthy. It's only been the last six months or so they have actually made any impact.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think AMD is realizing that there is a lot more money to be made in the middle to lower end, plus the server market, than there is in the enthusiast market. Let Intel spend gobs of money to be the fastest, if your product in the $500 computer works fine and is cheaper...

6. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Maybe it's because faulty G86 GPUs are dying out.

7. Snips

Unfortunately, that's the problem for AMD. Intel don't just concentrate on the spending gobs of money to the fastest. That's why they own the industry in every class they design to.

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I expect AMD to do even better with laptop sales once their Fusion CPU/GPU's his the market.
    Nvidia will suffer as they don't have a CPU/GPU chip. That means they can't benifit from the reduced power comsumption and cooling requirements of a single chip design. And that's before you even mention how power inefficient recent Nvidia designs have been compared to AMD's.
    Intel's new Sandybridge chips GPU's are a big improvement over the old Intel graphics, but not up to AMD's or Nvidia's standards. Providing their new CPU's are up to scratch, I can see AMD taking laptop sales away from Intel as well as Nvidia.

9. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

A lot of descrete cards are no better than integrated mind. I'm wondering if places like currys and argos screwed up in their labling scheme labling integrated as descrete or did AMD pull a fast on by removing integrated graphics into descrete at very low end. I think that comment made sense

10. Xir

Xir Modder

...shame AMD's stock isn't showing this...
    though Intel's not doing great either

11. Snips

AMD has gone from $41 to $8 a share over the last 5 years. While Intel even though it's had ups and downs is the around the same $21 it was 5 years ago.

Which one would you have been happier owning for the last 5 years? neither probably.

Nvidia however has been getting some really positive buy notices over the last few days, with big institutional investors piling in. The management and inside share owners haven't sold any of their own share since dec09 when it was at $17. So the management and investors appear to know something we all clearly don't. Have they fixed fermi?

*this isn't financial advice in anyway and is not a recommendation to buy any share

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  12. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Like you say nvidia has suffered as intel integrated graphics have removed them from the low end intel solutions.

When fusion comes out AMD will really only be doing that to themselves - if it was a low end AMD CPU then it already came with a low end AMD gpu. Fusion if anything costs them money as they remove their own low end market, and can't sell fusion for as much.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

AMD stocks are to volitile to be regarded over such a long period of time :D
    No I meant that this "positive" news had no influence over the last two days.

And you're right, I'm not too happy owning either :jawdrop: Bought them relatively low though, they're both slightly in the plus.

Tags: Add Tags