Overclocking 1st Time CLock - Q9550

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Uggers, 14 Mar 2011.

1. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Yea CPU-Z will always read below what you set the vcore to, this is due to whats called vdroop, or voltage droop. When a component is under stress/load, it can cause the supply of electricity to lag a little giving a lower voltage. the 1.3 is just the max amount it supplies.

Theres often a setting called "Load Line Calibration" or similar which is meant to reduce that, and is an idea to have that enabled. although on my motherboards it doesnt do alot.

good to hear it's seeming reasonably stable for you though

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Isn't Vdroop the way the voltage droops when an overclocked CPU goes from idle to heavy load?

Load Line callibration seems to compensate for this on my system anyway by raising the voltage to higher than it was when idle, eg 1.272v when idle and 1.296 when under load.

3. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Well been running Prime again for a couple of hours or so and seemed fine still. Seems to be running a few degrees cooler as well which I assume is down to the lower voltage I forced instead of the Auto picking its own.

I assume CPU-Z is reading it incorrectly at 1.27 if I set it on the Bio's as 1.3 or have I missed something there?

Anyway, I'll give this a week or so and see how it copes then I'll try pushing it further :)

4. Deders

Deders Modder

I tend to assume that cpuz is the more accurate of the two, especially when Load Line Callibration comes into play, anyone else care to comment?

5. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

I've got AIDA64. Used to be Everest Ultimate. I find that to be very reliable. Never took a multimeter to anything to check though.

6. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

This might not be related but considering what I have done recently I figured It would be best to bring it up here at least.

The computers been running fine ever since I pushed it up to 3.4ghz and set the voltage to 1.3000v.

Wierdly though, I just popped out the the shops and turned it all off, when I turned it on again I noticed I was getting crackly/laggy sound. At the time I put it down to the website I was currently using so I ignored it then decided to play a bit of Bad Company 2, thats when I noticed the sound was choppy and it was causing choppy graphics as well.

I checked the temps of the CPU and the GPU, the GPU at 64 and the CPU around 49ish across all 4 cores. So didn't seem to be a problem there.

I ran DPC Latency Checker and noticed I get some lovely red spikes when the onboard network card is being active. so I disabled the onboard wireless as I never used that anyway to see if it improved. No such luck.

I did a virus/malware scan on a couple of programmes to rule that out and nothing cropped up there.

At this point I have noo idea what to think. It worked fine before going out for 30 mins and now all laggy and choppy.

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Is it a PCI soundcard?

8. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

everything bar the graphics card is all onboard

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Might still be on the PCI bus, is there an option in the bios to lock the PCI frequency to 33/66MHz?

Could be a heat issue inside your case, what's the airflow like? Does taking the side off help?

10. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Ah right, I think I can only lock the PCI-E frequency.

Case is fine inside, I the airflow is quite decent. I did take the side of to have a physical check and see if there was anything I could see being wrong and its still off atm.

I just tried viewing a flash stream of a video, it was a little crackly, but then became really choppy and crackle when I went to full screen with it

11. Deders

Deders Modder

Is the PCIe frequency locked?

Does restoring to default clock speeds resolve this?

12. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Yeah its locked,

And just restored to default speeds and it seems alright and DPC is reporting low latency again.
    Bah damn it

I don't quite get how it has been working fine for a week then suddenly pulls this. I would of thought these issues would crop up straight away.

Not sure what to do at this point now then

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Latest audio and network drivers?

Clock it up as fast as you can without spikes?

Does the Core 2 quad series have a VTT voltage setting?

I had a similar issue with my current setup when I first overclocked, not had any issues since though, I think I updated the bios and the drivers.

14. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Updated both of those after the issues popped up :) oh and bios is upto date, hasn't been a recent one for a while

Yeah I'll give it ago, just a bit annoyed that it seemed fine then decided actually no, screw you this wont work properly now lol.

Urm I'll be honest I just googled that to try and understand it but I still don't quite get it sorry

Last edited: 21 Mar 2011
  15. Deders

Deders Modder

Could you do a picture of all your voltage settings in the bios?

16. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

The voltage bit on the bios had these options and basically unless there is a number there which I added, its all on Auto

CPU Voltage - 1.3000v (set after we noticed on auto it was up at 1.35v)
    CPU Voltage Reference - Auto
    CPU Voltage Damper - Auto
    CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
    DRAM Voltage - 2.1v
    FSB Termination Voltage - Auto
    North Bridge Voltage - Auto
    North Bridge Voltage Reference - Auto
    South Bridge Voltage - Auto

Sorry I typed it, but had it all written down on a pad beside me to save having to shut down, take a photo and mess around, Can still do that if you need :)

17. Deders

Deders Modder

Ok, the network card and soundcard will both be on the south bridge, is there any way of finding out whether the voltage for the south bridge has changed when you overclock?

What is your Mobo? Maybe there is software that can tell you on the manufacturers site.

18. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Its an Asus P5K-E/Wifi-AP

I have no idea how I could check that to be honest.

19. Deders

Deders Modder

What version of windows and what bios version do you have?

20. Uggers

Uggers What's a Dremel?

Win 7 Business 64 Bit
    and version 1305