1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage 2 Blacks vrs Velociraptor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snuffles, 17 Mar 2009.

1. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

What would be faster for an OS drive

2 WD 500gb Caviar Black in RAID or 1 Velociraptor 300gb

Any help would be fantastic

2. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

The 2 x 500GB (blacks) in RAID(0 I presume), would have faster read/writes, but the Velociraptor would have faster access time..
    ________
    PlayfulLady live

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  3. Mokey Mokey

Mokey Mokey What's a Dremel?

I'd rather have two slower drives in RAID 0 than a single faster drive. The load times for games and boots would be faster, as well as the read/write speeds. But instead of the 500GB Black Caviar, you should choose the 640GB. The 640GB's platters are denser (320GB X 2, vs 250GB X 2) which would make it a bit faster and it's only $5 more than the 500GB on newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319&Tpk=640GB black cavoar).

4. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

Yeah im gonna go this route. Either, 2 500s or 640s(harder to find) with a 1T Black for mass storage.

All three are still cheaper than 1 Velo.

5. Mokey Mokey

Mokey Mokey What's a Dremel?

Not to mention 7-8 times more space.

6. McGrego

McGrego What's a Dremel?

i own a 640gb wd caviar wd6400aaks , it loads windows xp just on 3 loading bars, really fast , quiet and 90 mbs average , and now there is a improved version with 32mb of cache i believe it was called wd6400aals , imagine two of them in raid-0.......... cheap , fast and dirty performance and 1280 gb of storage....

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

you got to realise the looses you will have to recover if one of the RAID0 drive fails. having a single vRaptor decreases the chances of it happening by quite a lot.

also, access time is quite important in OS drives where there are lots small files. that's why i got a old Raptor for OS drive (reasonable fast, small drive perfect for OS) and 1TB Black for games install (where there are large sequential reads). 1TB Green for backups (speed doesn't matter here, only operation temperature and longer drive lifetime)

8. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I have one of the blacks 640gb, and I have to say its been really impressive (well as impressive as a HDD can be) I'd recomend those, also even used as a single drive they are pretty damn nippy, think I might go raid) this summer, after I've backed up all my stuff to the old 400gb that I'm taking out...

Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact temp readings but its cooler than my samsung, I think about 28 degrees. So logevity should be good.

I got mine from overclockers (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-244-WD), who were actually really amazingly good with this order, was dispatched sameday, DHL delivered the next, I missed the first attempt and the bloke came round at 6 and dropped it off which was nice...