2 inputs + 1 monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Orca, 19 Sep 2006.

1. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

(sorry if wrong section, was unsure)

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox 360 and hooking it up to my Belinea 102035W via the official VGA cable. Thing is my Belinea is currently hooked up to my PC as well, and it supports VGA and DVI. My question... is it possible to have the monitor connected to the PC via DVI, AND have the Xbox 360 connected via VGA? So whenever I use the Xbox 360 the monitor will just jump to that and when I'm done back to displaying my PC output.

Or should I be looking to get a VGA sort of switch box to suit both of my needs?

Cheers

2. andyl33t

andyl33t What's a Dremel?

Well if you want to connect the 2 VGA inputs to a VGA switchbox, you need something called a KVM (keyboard video monitor) switch. It will accept both you 360 and PC as inputs and then the monitor as output, and to switch between the two, you just press a button. But with some brands of KVM switches, they require power, so you could either power it with an external power supply, or you could supply the power by connected the KVM to your PCs keyboard or mouse ports (if they are not being used).

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Since your monitor supports both DVI and VGA there should be a button that let's you switch between the inputs normally called "source" or something like that. Have a read of monitors manul should tell you in there.

4. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

easy just get advi lead for pcand then switch between dvi/vga usually done via osd or a seperate switch - always works well for me when i need to run two pcs at once..