1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 2 week timer

Discussion in 'Modding' started by whiteagle, 10 Jan 2004.

1. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

I need a way to power something momentarily once every week or two. Here's the deal, my friend's little brother is a senior in highschool, and there is a technology/invention project I'm supposed to be helping him with. We decided a self watering flowerpot would be a cool thing. So the idea is to hook up a couple of sealed lead acid batteries and an old windshield washing pump out of a car, but I need a way to trip it for 5-10 secs once every week or two. (I don't actually have plants, because of forgetting to watter them, so I don't know how often they need to be watered.) If it's not to much trouble, while you are at it, a way to make the amount of time it waters the plant variable would be cool.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Actualy a automated plant timer available at garden or home stores can do just that.
    I know I have seen them in weekly modes, rather then daily modes.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It's better to water pot plants when they need it rather than on a timed schedule. A soil moisture detector triggering the watering would be better and much simpler. :cooldude:

4. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I'd thought about that except all the ones I've seen said not to leave them in the soil for extended periods of time. Also I couldn't think of anyway to make it trigger anything.

BTW, lol, better for the plants. I'm just trying to keep them alive! I made a deal with him, I'll help him build it if i can have it when he's done. That way I can finally have a living plant in my office.

Thanks though. All the help is appreciated.

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Copper probes will corrode, but stainless steel wires or carbon rods (from a dry battery) should be OK. A comparator circuit would be the easy way to drive a relay or transistor switch to the motor.