1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Trackmaniac

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 5 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Nice writeup Craig. I've really enjoyed Trackmania with my friends in the past, and shaving off that last 0.01 second can be incredibly satisfying at the last moment. Didn't ever get as hooked into it as css, but it is still great fun to dip in and out of.

You didn't make mention of puzzle servers though. I know that they aren't the draw of the game, but they are a fun alternative. Attempting to get from one checkpoint to another via a series of ridiculously difficult challenges where the aim is just to finish, nevermind your time (respawning at the last checkpoint each time you screw up, again, and again, and again). We have literally spent hours on single maps without finishing them before.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  3. xion

xion Minimodder

most addictive game - Ever!

...bought the full version shortly after i wasted 3 evenings playing 'just once more'...

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

hehe nice:p apart from the fact this is a nice writeup (for a nice game) i like the fact that you lot are not some anonymous sitemasters, but really people with stories who make jokes and let the world know about it :)

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I have the full version too. Means you can race a variety of cars (the GT cars are even faster than the off-road-F1!) in a variety of modes although they're not all multiplayer. Even if you have no internet connection though, the free version can be unfuriatring, yet great fun!

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Hate to correct you, but the article was written by Craig Lager, not Ben Hardwidge.

7. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

:eeek: My bad, just took it from arcticstoat's sig. Sorry Craig. Edited now.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I miss one thing (which was in Trackamnia Nations at least) - there is a difference in you are accelerating, doing nothing or breaking while flying after a jump. They will give you 3 very different landing spots as you can accelerate and break while being in air :).

9. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

I remember playing trackmania for a solid couple of days before remembering to get my controller out. You can definitely play it okay with a keyboard, but I was a lot better (and more comfortable) with a decent controller.

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Always loved Trackmania after playing it for the entire weekend at an i-series LAN with a group of friends.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

One of the few multiplayer games I can be bothered playing, it's awesome, I downloaded a super mario kart skin for mine & has a wibbly wobbly head :D, I play this with my xbox 360 pad I find it better for steering with the analogue stick, but yeah overall the game really rocks :thumb:.

12. clumsy_culhane

clumsy_culhane Minimodder

@Faug, There is a difference, especially if you brake. If you play on some of the harder jump servers you will need to utilise air-braking to make certain jumps :p

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

on ESL maps, it makes all the difference air-braking, the faster you're on the ground, the faster you accelerate. Also drifting round certain corners (accelerate and brake to slide, just like a go kart) also makes a lot of difference.

14. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I really like playing the Nascar servers, that doesn't play in time trial but has all players start at the same time in a mad dash to complete 6 or 8 laps. The heartrate as you turn into that last corner with 7 people all still trying to get 1st after 5 fill minutes of play... this game has cost me more years of my life then alcohol ever will!

Edwards, can you recommend me a good puzzle server? Sounds like a cool game mode!

15. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

A Great game, truly.
    Spent hours playing with friends over the internet, just great.

Will have to get my server back online ;)

16. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

It's one of the greatest games ever. There is apparently a new one due this year.

17. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

VNC'ed into my pc at home, put this on download :D

18. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Yeah, learning that is a must! Not very realistic obviously, but absolutely necessary to get a stable landing after most jumps. TBH I haven't played it in a few months but I am a huge fan. I used to run a server with all my custom tracks on it. Great fun with a server full of people all playing my levels!

19. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

I spent almost 2 years playing this game almost everyday aspart of a clan and it's great fun.

It's a great game and has a fantastic community, but the number of full time dedicated servers is a fraction of what it was and sadly not all of the stadium servers are accessable to people who only have Nations anymore due to some sort of advertising disagreement.

There's been promises of TM2 with screeshots or video evidence for a good couple of years, but I dont think anything is going to happen.
    Shame

20. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I remember getting the original track mania as a £5 impulse buy - Hmm, its got a loop the loop on the front cover... i'll give it a shot :p

After that i promptly got sunrise, and loved it. (btw, if you think the carts are fast, try the island racers in TM Unlimited)

I've played nations on and off for the last few years. Theres no other game like it :)

Tags: Add Tags