1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte G1.Sniper Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

FAIL gigabyte

-1 to common sense +1 to shareholders lol

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

£360 board for what is already an obsolete socket.. Yeah that makes sense, so long as the board has some weapon-styled heatsinks!

Fail.

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

LOL @ the gun clip with fake bullet xD

5. bob_lewis

bob_lewis Lurker extraordinaire

At least it is a preview that actually made it to review! Sorry BT, I had to. :)

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Not so much a headshot as a teamkill...

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I love the little message on the SB heatsink-
    "Heat sink- Not a weapon. Cannot be assembled as a firearm."

8. kaiser

kaiser What's a Dremel?

Haha r3loaded, thanks for my first laugh of the morning!

Seriously tho, I paid £150 for the very first RoG board (AM2 Crosshair) back in the day and at the time that price was considered excessive...

Also, there are lots of X58 boards for sub-£300 with quad pci-e slots, why does this one only have 3?

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Bit of a joke compared to the Sabertooth.

10. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I'd actually be embarrassed to have that motherboard.

11. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

Is that 'aimed' at 16 year olds who can only dream of owning such a garish product?

12. veato

veato I should be working

Stupidly expensive gaming motherboard is shite for gaming.

Brilliant!

13. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Hah you beat me to it...

14. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

definately a stripped down version would be interesting. Get rid of the bigfoot and the soundblaster chips, remove or simplify the heatsinks, and improve the sata controller and their on to a winner. Oh and half the price ;)

15. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Gigabyte gear is always top- notch, but really, please stop the gimmicky, console kid pleasing bullet clip nonsense. PC fans want function not to be patronised. Makes you wonder how old Gigabyte think the average PC builder / gamer is? As others have commented for that kind of dosh you could get an EVGA Classified.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2011
  16. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Tbh I don't even see much point in reviewing X58 anymore - the media benchmarks are barely worth a look in when all the boards perform almost identically. It's only when a board falls flat on its face that the results have any value to them.

As for the board itself, no surprises that its purely for show. I'd pitty anyone who bought this, though I can't believe many will. It's kind of a shame though, in a way, as I think having a decent on-board sound processor is a really good idea that should be used elsewhere. This feature should really have been tested further as well, imo.

Oh and guys, get rid of the Intellitxt adverts.

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Haha, so you want to a normal motherboard with a gaming brand on it? The brand (just like ROG) is all about perceived value, exclusivity, halo products. Yes, the price puts it out of reach for most gamers, but that is exactly the point of this board.

Can you tell me, despite the price, do you still want the board? That's what it sets out to do, tickle those 'do want' mucles. Does it? :p

EDIT:
    I dont get it. Why does everyone look at this board as if it's a Sabretooth-competitor? It's clearly not. The thing isn't for everyone, and i'm not defending it. I'm with the "no way i'd ever pay that for a motherboard" crowd. Howevver, for those that DO have that budget, would you want this over an RIIIE or an EVGA Classified? The way I read this is "don't buy that ferrari, it's better to save the cash and buy this mazda M5 instead". And then everybody slagging off Ferrari for the pricetag. Afterwards, i still don't know if it's any good among other supercars.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2011
  18. kerno

kerno I overclocked my MP3 player

What are they doing? £360 are they mad I have just spent £150 on a Sabertooth that allows me faster game play in Crysis and probably many more games. The fancy network card, Why? You will never see the difference from a standard on board one. The sound chip is good but can not really justifiy the price.
    In upgrading my board form a Gigabyte board which was very good but no Sata 6GB or USB 3 I think they have taken a definate turn for the worse, Gigabyte have always been to me as a company that supplies top quality products cheaper that Asus can. Total FAIL they need to get back to waht they do well good value quality equipment.
    Rant over

19. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

a nearly dead socket and their charging that much???? its just major overkill and even if i had an i7 and the cash to buy this board i think id still save the cash and put towards something else

20. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

it tickles my 'do want' muscles but it still dosnt mean id buy it if i had the cash and id imagine many others are the same, i think that is what bit-tech are getting at

Tags: Add Tags