1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte G1.Sniper Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Apr 2011.

1. Morlok

Morlok Stuck in New Eden

Got as far as "Preferred Partner Price: £345.10 (inc VAT)" and stopped. No mobo is woth THAT much premium over anything else..

"Give me your finest mobo barkeep"..
    "Certainly sire, that'll be stoopid amounts of wedge"
    "Must be pushing the bits across the busses at warp speed barkeep"
    "Indeed it does sire, USB4, Intel i9 support and UBERHDMI"
    "Give me three then barkeep"

Just bought the Asus P8P67-M - fine enough for anything I can throw at it.

2. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Excellent review. Exactly what I expected from this overpriced monster.
    Why do so many people consider the x58 practically dead? There's plenty of life left in this chipset and the LGA 1366 cpu's. If it's the low prices for many of the more esoteric Intel cpu's I think that's just because Intel made a serious mistake by marketing so many different speeds when just a few would've sufficed. My i7-920's are still the fastest of the lot. The one I'm using right now has been running at 4.41 GHz for well over a year. The LGA 1366 and x58 is nowhere near an EOL platform so don't bury it alive.
    Gagabyte has once again failed. Now there's a company deservious of a premature burial!

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

This board just makes me giggle, I can't help it.

Why has the "magazine" got G1 Killer written on it and not Sniper?

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

To little to late. This needed to be hitting the shelves 18 months ago to have half a chance of selling in any numbers and going toe to toe with the Rampage.

5. Hawkest

Hawkest I got some 4GB new RAM

How much!

6. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

Rumour mill is that it will be replaced by 3-6 months time.

The new 1155 Sandy bridge i5 and i7 chips perform just as well /faster than 1366 chips (excluding 6 core chips on multi threaded apps) and they cost less. Plus they tend to overclock better than 1366 chips.

These reasons would suggest that the x58 is gona be a dodo sometime soon.

7. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i like the board quite a bit.. too bad it's overpriced :-/ .. would probably be a nice upgrade from my Abit IP35 Pro!

8. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

It's because the LGA 2011 socket is coming out in Q4 of this year, and will be replacing the 1366 setups. For right now, 1366 is still considered the 'flagship' socket (even though performance on SDB is higher than many 1366 chips).

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

£360? Hope you get some free stickers at least.

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

block *intellitxt* there is 4 other intellitxt based services but i have not got them right now

or as punishment use adblock and remove bit-tech.net from the allowed list as that should block all ads as well as intellitxt until they remove intellitxt from the code

pointless board for the price

11. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Isn't the board named G1 Killer instead of G1 Sniper?!

£360 for a mobo is waaayyyyy ludacris!

Edit: Went to Gigabyte and saw that every G1 brand has G1 Killer in the SB heatsink.
    Any clue about BT having the G1 Guerilla and the G1 Assassin being reviewed?

Guess the G1 Assassin will be the top of the range since it has 16 power phase and supports 4-war Crossfire.

12. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Paul Goodhead's math in averaging continues to blow my mind 9+9+4=22/3=7.3 yet he/you rate it as 6?? Every article he/you write has the kind of verdict on the score.

Also, if USB 3.0 and SATA 3 are backwards compatible, why do they not replace the older ports?

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Sorry to pick on your post to comment on, but it's the first one I saw when I opened the thread!

First of all the price: If it's genuinely worth £360, I will pay it. I've bought a board or two in my time that cost £350 or slightly north of it, and at the time those were genuinely top end, industry leading, brand new technology carrying boards. This however, as many people have said, is just another X58 motherboard. There's barely any point in me going past that but I've started now so I will continue. Yes, it's just another X58 board. It doesn't matter what new features they've added to it or what amazing accessories they've bundled with it, it's not worth £360 of yours or my money. I wouldn't go so far as to call Intel X58 or the 1366 socket obsolete, but it's certainly ageing and well on it's way out. There are an almost silly number of really good enthusiast grade X58 boards to choose from at the moment and many of them cost less than this one and don't look nearly as stupid.

That's my next problem with this board, and the rest of the G1 range. It doesn't matter who they were, what positions they held or even if it actually was a good call as far as marketing goes, I would like to get my hands on the idiots from Gigabyte who suggested, agreed with and implemented the idea of having the heatsinks shaped like magazines. These are the stupidest looking motherboards I have ever seen. Bar none. I refuse to buy or sell any of them based on that alone. To put it quite bluntly they look like tacky ****.

As far as performance goes... really? It's a fat load of "meh". I only skimmed through the review but a board that I have which is fast approaching a year old matches and in some cases outperforms the G1 Sniper, and it cost slightly less... a year ago.

I just don't understand this at all. I could see through it if I thought it was actually going to be popular. Bought by silly gamers with more money than sense, but then that's their decision... but I really don't see these boards being the big success that Gigabyte think they will be.

Antec did it to me with a few of their gamer series case designs, Seagate did it a long time ago (and we all know why) and Gigabyte have done it in the past with reliability problems too (I'm talking 6 years ago btw). They've just done it again... I've been put off and disappointed by an Industry leading manufacturer.

Well played Gigabyte...

14. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

The overall score isn't an average of the breakdown scores, it's a weighted calculation as some factors are more important than others.

To make this clearer, we're updating the bit and CPC scoring system at the mo, ETA soon :clap:

15. psychoti

psychoti What's a Dremel?

nothing personal but from the 1st time that i saw it looks ridiculous!

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Coming next. Heat sinks shaped like boobs.

Not sure if this would be good or bad thing. Perhaps the nipple naturally has a large amount of surface area to internal volume and would actually make the most efficient design for a heatsink.

Imagine a board with boobs for heat sinks, but that actually turned out to be the worlds greatest overclocker.

Good lord.

17. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

This motherboard is in a glass display at NCIX in Vancouver; the reasoning? It looks nice, and nobody will ever buy it at that price so might as well make it a wall ornament.

Sounds 'bout right to me.

18. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

"This is because £360 is a hell of a lot to pay for a motherboard, especially one that only performs ever so slightly better than boards that cost half the price"

Could try going lower than a 4 for value once. Never know, you might like it.

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

£360 for a mobo :jawdrop:

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If the conversion rate makes any sense, I could buy myself an Entire i5, or i7 setup with that kind of coin.

Tags: Add Tags