1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News O2 crowned king of mobile broadband speeds

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I have 3 mobile bb and it's ok. I think they all need more mast locations though as poor signal quality is annoying.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This is referring to *mobile* broadband, using a dongle/datacard, not fixed line broadband.

4. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

I got T-Mobile in April for my new phone and they have a godawful fixed 3G speed of 384kbps only, which I was never told about in their T&Cs. Can't get any faster unless I pay an extra £5 a month or something.

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I'm perfectly happy with 3, getting 2-3Mbit at all times.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm on three, its ok, not as fast as my friend on 02, but then I pay about £7.50 less than him, as well as getting more minutes, texts and unlimited downloads.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I'm on vodaphone

unlitmed text
    5000mins (inc 0800 and 0845, other networks, landlines, everything)
    Free voda phone to vodaphone calls
    2gig internet usage
    £10 a month

Fast, cheap and happy, never understood why £30+ contracts exist, who the hell uses all that stuff!

8. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I thank you bit-tech so much, due to the fact I am actually going to buy a dongle tomorrow. :)

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Generally the £30+ contracts are for subsidised handsets. I'm guessing your £10 a month is SIM only, right?

10. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

2.5Mb/s? yeah... sure.. maybe when your standing under the transmitter

11. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I have some minor inside info, but 3 Mobile is due to get a whopping boost in 3G/4G speeds in the next few months. Way better coverage too.

From what I hear, they are looking to get people in the inner cities to have up to and above 8Mb speeds on a dongle. >.>

12. fodder

fodder Minimodder

I have had a t-mobile dongle for about 3 years, it is awfull. You get a great signal and speed for a minute or so, then it crawls or drops the connection completely. This is true everywhere I have been in the uk. From Scotland right down to Cornwall.

Just use tethering now, this seems more reliable than the dongle.

13. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

i wonder if orange had most 2g connections because it has better coverage in trouble spots

for example, orange is the only network i can get a signal with in my house without hanging out of the window, and even then the others are ropey. also more rural areas that perhaps dont' have 3g coverage properly might have better orange signals - hard to know really.

O2, i believe, works best in cities (ok they all do, but it's possible it has less rural coverage than others).

14. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I get 5+meg with 3 at times and it's usually above 3 meg. When I had O2 I rarely got above 3 meg, hence O2 are king of nothing!

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

o2? King of mobile broadband speeds? You have to be kidding. Their coverage is next to useless, unless you're in a large town. And mobile broadband, you would think, is the lifeline offered to those who still have no normal/usual way of receiving broadband through their phoneline. I find 3 pretty exceptional, personally. Where o2 struggles with a gprs signal, I can normally receive hsdpa on 3 (or at the very least, 3g).

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

in my experience O2 has crap coverage in my region, and 3 are much better, except they have a sell sell sell customer support team

17. trickster

trickster What's a Dremel?

A lot of people seem to be commenting about 3G speeds via their phones, whereas the tests in the article were all made using dongles and 'mobile broadband' packages. According to "Trusted Rviews":
    "The report didn't cover smartphones but Ofcom indicated that a survey of these devices would take place soon."
    Not sure how much differnece this actually makes but i wouldnt be surprised if someone tells me 3G speed on a phone contract is different to a 3G mobile broadband contract, even though its the same thing

18. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

I am with O2 for my mobile and the signal where I am is good most of the time tho in some places it becomes patchy or nothing at all. I managed to update my old vodafone dongle and when I have the need just pop my O2 sim in for internet access, still have access to texts tho is cut off from calls while online.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Another 3 mobile user here, superb network, great coverage, data speed used to be amazing, continually 2.5-3Mb, these days it seems not so fast but still fast enough to download albums of Amazon in work in a matter of minutes when I want some new music on my phone.

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Internet tethering from my iphone to my laptop, I have reached speeds up to 900Kbps when downloading from steam.

Tags: Add Tags