1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 24" Monitor for under £200?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nry, 19 May 2009.

1. nry

nry Minimodder

Im after a 24" monitor as working on my laptop is starting to do my head in with the horrible keyboard.

So been thinking what 24" monitor do I buy.

Requirements must be 1920x1200! not 1080
    DVI/HDMI is a must
    Preferably not have a blue led on it as I hate them lol

It will be used for webdesign/coding and watching films

I have read up on the TN and PVA panels and are the cheap ones really that bad?

Been looking at this monitor Samsung SM2433BW, slightly over budget but seems to fit my spec

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The SM2433BW is a decent enough monitor for what you're after.

The panels in the Samsung ones are, imo, the best of the TN around atm, and as long as you're not fussy they provide very good monitors in terms of usability. Where they fall down is colour reproduction and viewing angles, but if you can live with either of those, do it.

I was going to pick up an SM2433BW earlier this year as an upgrade for this monitor (SM2043NW), but decided against it 'cause I'm skint.

3. nry

nry Minimodder

Im not too fussed really, as long as its decent enough for general use im sure I will be happy.

Am I right in understanding its a matt screen?
    Although I don't know if I would prefer matt or glossy.

Thinking about the SM2443BW as its a few quid more but with pivot and height adjust as well.

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Yuraku 24" + sellotape!

That said you won't get sound if you use HDMI.

I do my coding/HTMl on my 19" anyway.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

There was an Asus that was quite well recommended in this month's CPC labs test IIRC.

I can't remember which one it was, though.

6. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

I recently (1 week ago) was in the same situation as you were. Same budget and same uses. I ended up choosing the Samsung T240. Its a nice monitor that i believe is slightly better than the SM2433BW but i managed to grab a bargain at £222 from Amazon, unfortunately the prices have been hiked back up again.

I suggest it as it has the full compliment of inputs (including usb) and it doesn't have a bright blue led - It has a dull orange one that is fully adjustable in strength and can be turned off if you wish (it matches my g15 so i don't care)