1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

250 GB Sata from Seagate...A problem...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TheColdLord, 22 Mar 2008.

1. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

Hy all you happy ppl!

A friend of mine got a new pc. It works well and all that jazz..but he has a little problem with an older hdd of his. Its recognized by the system, and hes running XP...now the problem is that he cannot access this hdd.

Sys specs as follows:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/10/01/asus_p5e3_deluxe_wifi_ap_n/1
    Intel QD6600
    2GB DDR3 from Kingston..and the rest aren't rly important.

One of the things I tried 2 do is to change the cable\put the cables in other sata slots. The problem I've encountered there was that it didn't recognize the hard which had the OS on either, which lead me to believe that there something wrong with the SATA ports.

Thanks in advance!

The Cold Lord

2. FragileSocks

FragileSocks What's a Dremel?

Some mobos require SATA to be enabled in the Bios. (presuming the other drive is not SATA)

3. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

Both hdd are sata2...sorry, forgot mention that. And the other one is has 500GB. In the bios everything is set to auto. And when I connect them they are recognized by the bios 2...just that I cannot access them.

4. FragileSocks

FragileSocks What's a Dremel?

Silly question, but power cables are fully in? Sometimes they dont fit as tightly as they should.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd say that if all the cables are in properly then the SATA port isn't working. As you said - when you swapped the cables around the OS drive wasn't recognised.

6. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

completely remove the working drive, and plug the old drive into the primary SATA channel.

Run something like seagates seatools software to check the health of the drive.

if you swapped the cable around so the old drive was in the primary and the new was in another - it won't have booted as the bios would be looking for the os on the old drive.

if you test the drive and its ok, what do you mean by can't access the drive. does it mean you can see the drive's partition in my computer, but it won't open (ie hangs) or doesn't allow access (ie saying you do not have rights).