Cooling 2500K and Corsair H50

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wicked_Sludge, 15 Feb 2011.

1. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

im looking for cooling solutions for my fiancees sandy bridge rig. its currently running the intel cooler at stock speeds and i have to say, i dont see how people are getting 4.2GHz out of this thing. i just finished reseating the cooler and adding a 240mm side intake fan and its still hitting mid 70's under load. its usable, but theres no headroom to OC.

her case is a raidmax mid tower, and with the 240mm fan on the side there isnt a lot of room for a huge air tower cooler. i would like to go with the h70, but its cost prohibitive and i have my doubts it would fit in her case as well.

which brings me to the h50. anyone using one on a SB chip? i was aiming for a light OC to around 4-4.2GHz. her case has excellent airflow with two 120mm exhaust fans in the roof, along with the aforementioned 240mm intake, a 120mm front intake, and 120mm rear exhaust. i was thinking the rear 120mm fan could be switched to intake to push fresh air through the h50, then having the hot air sucked out the top by the roof fans.

thoughts?

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Intel coolers don't really allow for any overclocking headroom.

Watercooling might be a little extreme though, you will get a decent overclock with a decent air cooler. Have you read this months Custom PC?

3. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I have the 2600k and the H50 in my PC, and they seem to be the only two componants that work perfectly......

4. rollo

rollo Modder

The stock cooler does take 4ghz temps hit mid 80s under load

Measure your clearance

If you can fit a frio or fenrir do that if not the h50 is a good buy

5. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

My 2600k is on an H50 and it's running @ 5Ghz

6. Wicked_Sludge

thanks for the responses everyone.

deders, i dont really consider the h50 "water cooling". from what ive seen they perform about the same as most higher end air coolers, they just allow for more flexibility in mounting which is what im going for.

rollo, i havnt measured, but id say theres probably no more than 100mm between the motherboard and the 240mm side fan. i could get a low profile air cooler, but i know the performance of the h50 is pretty well proven...

dead beat, thats great news! what do your temps under prime95 look like? whats your core voltage?

7. dead beat

My core voltage is 1.37 and the max temp I get after several hours of Prime95 is 91 degrees.

8. Wicked_Sludge

ouch, thats too toasty for my taste. id like to keep it under 80 with prime, preferably in the 60s with normal usage. think thats doable @4ghz with the h50?

9. dead beat

Yeh it should be. Mine's going under "proper" watercooling soon anyway.