1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Twitter unveils Windows 8 app

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 Mar 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

No cheesecake?! :waah:

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't have Twitter account, but the app looks cool. I have no idea how it compares to orders.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Whilst the 'People' app did an ok job it was missing a few features on the twitter front and for me I found it didn't update properly. Add the fact that if you had a facebook account hooked up to the app to it put everything into the same 'timeline' which made things a pain to sift through. Also i couldn't get away with the notMetro layout and sideways scrolling it works for some things, and imo this wasn't one of them.

The twitter app works well when snapped to the side and normally but my biggest initial gripe is there's *lots* of empty space... particularly if you have a big screen...

5. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

"The app can also be adjusted to fit one third, two thirds or the whole of the screen."

What like we have been able to do since Windows 95 using "apps" we have downloaded and installed for years?

Yea I understand this will work great on Tablets but does anyone else think Metro as the default interface is a huge step backwards for desktops and Laptops?

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

For laptops with touch screen, no. For HTPC's, no. For desktops, quite. However if you visit Deviantart, some graphic artists have created concept drawings of how Metro could work on a desktop (and, incidentally, a way cool concept of a Metro Twitter app). Then it all makes sense. I hope that Microsoft is thinking in the same direction with the Blue updates. The GUI has a lot of potential --if applied well.

7. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Not at all. I run two computers in my house, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows 8. I also use Windows 7 at work, and I have no issues working with either interchangeably. The way I see it, a touchscreen-orientated interface can be applied to a desktop/HTPC environment perfectly - it's the other way around that's not so groovy. Not to mention that with high performance tablets and touchscreen laptops becoming more commonplace, I don't see why Microsoft opting for a unified interface is a bad thing. It's them establishing an identity, just like they did for years with the old Start menu.

On-topic - I'm glad to see the likes of Twitter making natives apps for Windows 8, hopefully soon we'll see Facebook and other social media sites following suit.

Tags: Add Tags