1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Computex Press Briefing - Devil's Canyon, 4K and PC Growth

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 3 Jun 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

4790K only 30-40% (on average) faster than a 3yr old Sandy Bridge..what the hell happened to Moore's law???

..oh yes, no friggin competition, that's what.

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

So we should be impressed that the cumulative result of three incremental improvements of ~10pc is ~30pc? Chip design is hard, but Intel offers no compelling reason to upgrade my 2500K - and I don't see that changing for years to come.

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Moore's law only applies to the number of transistors doubling every 2 years. With the size reduction (starting to approach physical limits now), die layout (integrated GPU) and move from GHz to cores, I'm not too surprised to see diminishing returns start to creep in with the overall speed...

5. DbD

DbD Minimodder

It's barely any faster then haswell, still not enough to tempt me to change my o/c 2500K. Need significantly higher ipc or 6 cores for that.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Not Intel fault that they have no competition, not like they price war AMD out of the sector. AMD still offer decent budget alternatives but no one really buys them anyway. Even people on this forum where the cheaper AMD chip would of done more they still brought cut down i3 and i5s.The harsh reality is AMD give up on it which left us where we are today. 30-40% performance gain is still sizeable if you need it. Very few applications can use the CPU anywhere close to its max capabilities though.

Intel has the big Oems though what it sells at retail is probably a tiny portion of its chips sold. With the likes of HP, Lenovo , Dell all been Intel.

Intels attempts to get into mobile have been a lot more fruitless due to the huge competition that exists in this sector where performance per watt is more important than any other item.

7. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Bugger, I was really hoping to get word of the release dates for the new CPU's. I read a week old article last night saying the devils canyon chips could be delayed to as late as september for the general public and that OEM's were getting less chips than expected in there first orders.

8. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Unfortunately I seem to be interested in one of the few areas that will bring even a top end Intel CPU to it's knees in 2014...Emulation.

A 4670K @ 4.5GHZ will still struggle with some games running on emulators like Dolphin,PCSX2 and Mame....

GPU's getting faster really don't help one bit.

9. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

They 'should' be available in retail by the 23rd of June.

Dave Lister likes this.
  10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Is that not rather an issue with badly (inefficient) written software rather than the actual CPU?

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Oh I really hope they are, cheers Hustler !

12. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Of course...but emulators have always relied on brute force CPU power to get past their inherently inefficient coding by enthusiastic amateurs releasing them as a hobby.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

With Broadwell just around the corner this seems a stopgap measure.
    Bit disappointed to be honest.

14. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

for overclockers trying to push the GHz barrier since you can buy a bunch of cheap as chips (sic) CPUs in search for the best result.

Buy the Pentium, then pay premium for Z97, then pay premium for the cooler. The performance difference between current Pentiums and i3's is massive. I don't think OC can bridge that gap, though I hope to be proven wrong. My bet though is that a H81/B85 + i3 + stock cooler will end up both cheaper and faster. If we had an option to OC on H81/B85 then maybe it would make more sense, but as things stand I don't expect it to make waves in budget gaming builds.

15. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

It would, but emulation is a different game entirely: you are emulating another CPU entirely, and not only are you emulating the Instruction Set, you are also emulating it's oddities, quirks and hardware bugs.

16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

One has to hope that AMD can seriously up the ante. Although I have been saying this for a while...

It will be interesting to see what these clock like with improved TIM, or whether it will be worth getting stanley out for a bit of liquid metal

17. Ljs

Ljs Modder

You would have thought with their budget they could come up with some better/more interesting visuals.

18. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Lets keep in mind this is 30 to 60% faster, not just 30%. Figure 30% being the floor and 60% the ceiling. That is at stock clocks to stock clocks. If the new Devils canyon proves to be as good an overclockers as Intel is alluding too, its possible that might be closer to 40-70% faster when BOTH are overclocked to the limits.

I wouldn't mind a processor that much faster. I don't know that I'd pay a ton of money for that just at the the moment (especially since I am on Ivy), but it isn't nothing. The IGP is also more than twice as fast (3 times?), supposing you are using the IGP for GPGPU or gaming.

It would be nice to see hexa core make its way in to the top end i7 CONSUMER desktop market, but probably not till Skylake at the earliest.

However, Intel is offering octacore in Haswell E this fall, which means that hexacore Haswell E might actually be rather affordable. Or at least I have my hopes that an entry level Haswell E Hexacore processor might cost roughly the same ballpark as Devil's Canyon i7 here. $300-400. Board might be a little more, but if I could score a $150 board and a $350 Haswell E Hexacore processor that might well be worth my while. Especially since a fair amount of stuff I do leans heavily on multi threaded performance. I just can't justify ~$1000 for an upgrade to a top level Haswell E + board when it gets introduced. $500 maybe.

I can hope anyway.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Relying on AMD is a waste of time. OEMs need to get behind them again that would be the only way to change this current situation and AMD seem happy to have headed the SOC route with the whole console crowd.

Enough it's happened in other sectors, look at tablets was a IPad only area till a few years ago. Just don't think there is similar will power for others to get into a sector that has really struggled with a shrinking market in the last few years.

20. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Hexus have a review of the 4790k up.

Tags: Add Tags