1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rockstar decries The Gamechangers as 'bollocks'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Sep 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

TBH I've found most of the BBC's "make it digital" stuff pretty dire so far, that goes doubly for The Gamechangers.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's a shame, because the Beeb can do tech-related docudrama brilliantly: Micro Men, a look at the rise and fall of Sinclair and Acorn, is proof of that.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I was a bit gutted when I turned on the tv last night to find I'd missed most of it. Was planning on watchin on iplayer later, but maybe not now.

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Presumably they approved of the core story, so proceeded to tell it with dignity and care.

Unfortunately the BBC can be highly selective of what it approves of, and it then acts accordingly - impartiality be damned.

6. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Got it recorded and will watch it for entertainment value rather than factual docu-drama type thing.

I would add Click to the good tech items the BBC provides. It's great for light hearted, although rather brief weekly updates. Really enjoyed Micro Men too.

7. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Did you watch 'Video Games - Are They Really That Bad'?

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I think the BBC are trying hard to be relevant in the face of being part of the old media. I miss them putting out excellent and original content, the fact that people still think they are excellent value for money astounds me.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe people think they're excellent value for money because it's relatively cheap, I can't think of many (any) other services that charge £12 PCM for a similar amount of content.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Tune in to BBC 3 and 4. Then compare to any TV on mainland Europe or even worse, the US. Trust me, BBC is pretty much the very best TV in the world.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Er, a lot of people are still of the opinion that they continue to put out "excellent and original content". 40p a day for the BBC is excellent value for money, imo - I probably listen to two or three hours of Radio 5 and Radio 6 Music a day (usually via the internet - so much for "old media", eh?), watch maybe five hours a week of BBC TV (closer to 15 hours a week if we include having CBeebies on :D) and use the BBC website daily. Not really astounding that 40p a day for all of that might seem to be excellent value for money, is it?

I appreciate that not everyone likes or uses the BBC, and I can certainly see the argument that if you never use it, you'd begrudge paying £150 a year for it, but to fail to see that there are people out there who think that the BBC is good value is a bit obtuse.

12. Gareth Halfacree

No, but applying Betteridge's Law means that the answer to the question posed in the title is "no" and thus I've saved myself half an hour (or an hour, or however long the programme was). Huzzah!

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I watched it (and posted a thread about it when it was on) and I thought it was quite interesting, especially the second half where they looked at the positive effects of gaming, such as improving brain function in old people.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2015
  14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'd happily pay the license fee for access to Radio 4 alone, it gives me a much needed break from the insanity of work and parenthood for about an hour a day whilst I'm driving, well worth the money.

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I just remember the quality of content dropping off, them trimming the outlets for their truely original content and looking at the original content put out by Netflix and Amazon and being impressed more. Podcasts and mp3 have made broadcast radio pretty much unusable, I get to listen to what I want, when I want. As opposed to what I want when someone else decides.

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As I said, I tend to listen to the likes of 6 Music via the BBC Media Player app, so I can pick and choose which shows to listen to and when, can fast forward or rewind through shows or even check the playlists for each show before I decide whether or not to listen to them in the first place. As such, I don't disagree with your comments about broadcast radio, but it's a criticism that's been rendered largely irrelevant now that the BBC have embraced digital content.

Another thing about the BBC that makes it great value is the depth and breadth of archive content that they have. You might feel that they produce less quality content these days, but even if that's true, they've got more top, top stuff in the vaults than you can shake a stick at. In the last week or so I've been working my way through a series from 1982 about music producers (the Tony Visconti episodes being especially good), again courtesy of the BBC Media Player app, and also been listening to a series of archived live sets from Glastonbury (Kenickie's 1998 set being a particular favourite).

Anyway, I'm not trying to persuade anyone as to the merits of the BBC and it's value or lack thereof. :thumb:

17. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Oh totally agree about the back catalogue, but we all paid for that already. Do you still need an internet connection to get the radio archives (is there an offline mode)? I know this is what pushed me over to podcasts.e

18. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Watching GameChangers right now. I think its bloody brilliant. Loved the way they filmed the kid killing the police and driving off in the car in a third person style.

There is a great big warning at the start saying its been dramatised, and some events taken from court documents.

Taking it for what it is, a nice bit of entertainment based on one of the best jnown game franchises in the world - its a fantastic bit of fun.

Radcliffe plays a good geek too.

(Added)

Finished watching it. A brilliantly produced, acted and directed piece of entertainment. I imagine most people will enjoy watching it who know the GTA games. The Hot Coffee moment was excellent. The ending was fab.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2015
  19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Think I'll probably give this a watch tonight then, the initial feedback put me off slightly.