1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2x20 LCD unresponsive

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by M2k3, 5 May 2006.

1. M2k3

M2k3 Wired to the Core

I'm trying to get a 2x20 LCD screen working on my computer and I followed the circuit instructions here for connecting it to a parallel cable: http://lcdsmartie.sourceforge.net/circuits.htm
    Anyway I plug the power into the 5v on the molex and the black squares come up, good it's working... not quite. When I plug in the paralled cable the LCD goes blank. I've checked the connection many times and as far as I can tell I've soldered everything correct. Any ideas on why this is happening?

2. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

You could have the parallel port turned off on the motherboard :confused:

3. M2k3

M2k3 Wired to the Core

Nope already checked that, it's set to EPP. Anyone else have any suggestions? I would really like to get this working. Or if anyone has an alternative way to wiring and LCD via Parallel than the instructions I posted above.

4. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

nope...thats exactly what I used back in the days of having a // LCD and it worked fine...did make a couple where it was a bit hit n miss, but once resoldered a couple of times, making sure to get it all correct, they worked fine!

5. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

6. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Have you tryed to send data to it?

7. M2k3

M2k3 Wired to the Core

I've tried using the LCDsmartie program on it but nothing happens, I completely forgot about that port95nt though, I'll try installing that.

8. M2k3

M2k3 Wired to the Core

Sorry for the bump but I tried installing that port95nt thing and I still get the same results. As soon as the Parallel connector is plugged in teh LCD goes off. I've checked the wiring over and over, is this a sign that the LCD is faulty somehow? (I got it out of an old fax machine I found at the side of the road)

9. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

well im out of ideas unless do you have it set to the right port? look up lpc ports on google