1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 3.5mm Switch box

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Volund, 27 May 2010.

1. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Ok, so here's an idea that I could use some help on.

I have a crappy ass set of dell speakers, that I use for both my zune (via docking station) and my PC.

I'd like to set up a simple box, sort of like a KVM switch, but just for my audio.

i.e. two 3.5mm inputs (female), with a switch in the middle to select input, and one output, which would be connected to my speakers.

How hard would this be to wire up? and where would I start? :wallbash:

Thanks
    V

2. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

This should be relatively simple to wire up, but I only know if it is a mono jack input, though it is more likely to be stereo. You just need to put a simple Double pole double throw switch, such as a toggle switch, between the inputs and the output which allows you to choose which input you would like to use, like in the picture below:
    [​IMG]
    However to set this up for a stereo speaker setup it could probably be done with a universal 0v rail, like so:
    [​IMG]
    But I'm not sure if this would affect the audio quality.

Sorry for the poor images, only have paint to use atm

Help this helps :)

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's really easy to set up. I use a similar setup for my PC audio, allbeit with an added layer of switching. My advice? Save yourself the bother of building the switcher ;)