1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft all-but quits the mobile market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 May 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Pity. I'm just rocking a Lumia 930 with Windows Phone 10, and it is pretty awesome.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The wife's just switched from a Lumia 1020 with Windows Mobile 8.1 (it was due to get Windows Phone 10, then Microsoft changed its mind) to an HTC One M8 with Android 6.0. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a 41 megapixel camera on a phone with 16GB of non-upgradeable storage needs their head checking.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Why buy such a small phone size in the first place. 32gb got to the minimum these days for most phone users.

No great shock this either below 3% market share at last count and loosing money.

They will not be the last to leave.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

When my Lumia 920 gave up the ghost I went back to my old iPhone 4 with iOS 7 for a brief while. It made me realise again why I switched --the interface sucks balls. It is so incredibly unwieldy.

My wife is trying out an Android 5 mobile and neither of us is impressed. It feels messy and incoherent. Windows Phone in comparison has an almost minimalist purist clarity. It is the OS I expected Apple to design.

I hope Windows Mobile 10 is kept going at least. I really can't see myself using any other mobile.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If Microsoft is no longer developing any phones at all, how long do you think the Microsoft Phone OS will last?

This is rather typically Microsoft, having force fed all those mobile friendly features into Win 10, they're dumping the very reason they did it all in the first place.

Does this mean that Win 11 will be a more traditional Operating System instead of an attempt at an Apple style walled garden? I doubt it, but Hope is just a few miles away from me.

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

There won't be a Windows 11. Until there's an OSX 11.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

In fairness they are maintaining they're tablety surface line so the mobile aspect isn't a total waste.

9. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Suggestion seems to be that MS isnt getting out of Windows Mobile 10, just the manufacturing of the Lumia range

Suggestion is MS will deal with mobiles like they do with laptops - Produce a top end "surface" product that shows manufacturers what they should be doing, and work with manufacturers for them to produce their own Windows/Windows Mobile versions

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I've gone from a Lumia 800, to the 1020 and now on the 950 (regular, not the XL) and I absolutely love it. Keep my desktop, tablet (Lumia 2520) and phone all synced up with regard to work flawlessly and does exactly what I want.

I used an iPhone 5S for a week and wanted to repeatedly through the wall. Horrid to use.

I got a spare battery for the 950 for emergencies and a 200GB MicroSD card in there as well, so ALL OF THE STORAGE. Useful for when I'm snapping dozens of photos for work and they are all over 10MB in size.

They say they're going to continue to support the OS, so that's something at least. :blah:

11. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

From a business point of view, I think they got what they needed from Nokia and are moving ahead without the excess staff.

"For context, Windows 10 recently crossed 300 million monthly active devices, our Surface and Xbox customer satisfaction is at record levels, and HoloLens enthusiasts are developing incredible new experiences. Yet our phone success has been limited to companies valuing our commitment to security, manageability, and Continuum, and with consumers who value the same. Thus, we need to be more focused in our phone hardware efforts"

Its not over.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

16GB?! I only remember 32GB and 64GB varients and the only reference I saw about 16GB version was talking about a US model and that was it. Agreed though, seems like a stupid mistake putting 16GB on it!

My issue with WP has been that it's moved away from hubs, which I felt were a good unique selling point and moved to using apps which WP has never been amazing with. I much preferred having FB messenger in my Messages hub then having to run the app, I much preferred being able to post updates from the Me tile and not have to run the app, integration was the key IMO and they took it out. Now like the other platforms, run the app, except the apps are worse on WP so what's the incentive to use WP. Not a lot.

After having a play with a Moto G the other day, I do prefer the UI of WP, but people aren't going to switch if they're entrenched in their platform, especially with worse apps. Continium is not a big enough selling point for most consumers. And if W10M is anything like W8.1 -> W10 is it'll feel like 1 step forward 2 steps back. After all that, it's not a surprise it's dying off and being scaled back.

On a side not, the W10 people app really bugs me with circles. A lot. My brain just hates it, give me back the squares.

13. Gareth Halfacree

My mistake - it's actually 32GB. I'm guessing the Windows 8.1 update ate up a chunk, 'cos the free space report sounds a lot more like a 16GB phone than a 32GB phone!

Even so, no micro-SD slot is criminal: my HTC One M8 is only 16GB, but for £13 I stuck a 64GB micro-SD in there and I can take ALL THE PHOTOS.

14. surya kumar

surya kumar What's a Dremel?

Yes they are concentrating improving OS features, notebooks and laptop or tablets.

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Maybe, I'm not sure what my 920 is sitting on, 12GB free maybe. I think you can upgrade the 1020 to W10M through the insider program, though only up to a certain build. Assuming you fancy giving it a go.

Go forth and take all the photos - except cat photos, I think we already have ALL of those. :D

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Apple have got away with it for ever not surprised other manufactures are trying it now.

17. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

If they wanted any real traction they should make some roms for popular android devices. Although they don't deserve any success after killing Nokia.

18. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

No more Nokia?! I just hope this means Foxconn will continue making my crappy ten pound "burner with buttons" pay as you go models that are now bundled with your top-ups. Will check bank holiday pricing on one of the only two Android smartphones I'd ever want to try to use again but the OS being that hackable and never knowing when Google will just dump a version is still a minus. - and now Microsoft are dumping the third alternative, it's a shame.

Still I guess Samsung are still making the el cheapo handsets.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Smartphone market is struggling. When you remove Apple / Samsung. The rest of them together are loosing money combined. The next biggest handset maker is a Chinese phone brand xaomi. Difficult to get there latest headsets outside of China so it's kinda mute point.

Htc have put there eggs in VR, LG and Sony are bit part players.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Goddamnit.

I find a phone design I like and they shitcan it. Typical.