1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo shares spike following Pokémon Go launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Jul 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

lvl 6 and counting. This **** is addictive. U guys saw the Sidney event that gathered 2000 people?

Yeah. PokeGo is the new Ingress on steroid.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I don't really "Nintendo" any more, but as a Nintendo kid I always get satisfaction when just as everything looks like it's going down the pan and they're going to do a Sega they suddenly pull something game changing out of their war chest/ass.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

While I'm pleased that Nintendo's on the up after a nasty time in the doldrums, let's not call Pokemon Go "game changing": it's literally Ingress with the bulk of features removed (to be re-added later, Niantic promises) and a Pokemon skin applied over the top. A recipe for success, apparently, but not particularly novel.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I mean game changing from a commercial and competitive pov, not because it's technically new or revolutionary.

Pokemon Go may not be at all new or special simply regarding software. However I would say it's pretty game changing because of it's popularity, mainstream penetration and potential to make vast sums of money for Nintendo.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I wish some of the other game developers would pay attention to what Nintendo are doing. It doesn't have to be cinematic, doesn't have to have bleeding edge tech, but if it's fun people will buy it.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Hum, for me, the negative part of ingress was that as a single-player, there wasn't really much to do but gather resources.
    Attacking any portals (or doing anything to them really) was futile.

How is this here? I collect Pokemons....aaaaand?

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'm pretty sure there will be more to it in the future.

9. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

Its already been banned where i work as staff where to busy messing around and running around trying to capture pokemon than do any work.

I walk a hell of allot atm so im enjoying it as something to break up the walk to work n back but until new features are added i can see this soon fading out as people get board as they have caught XY-Z and cannot do much with them.

The 3 gyms near where i work the only place you could battle are all level 14+ people so the casual players wont get to see that side of the game really.. Bring on one on one battles with people you meet and i think it be allot better game!

10. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

People are joking about this game being a catalyst to weddings, and baby naming.

Just to clarify, this game not available on iPhone in UK yet?

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Not to be out on windows phone at all, meh.

Exactly the problem that Ingress had imho