1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft announces upcoming James Cameron Avatar game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Mar 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So, Ubisoft Open World Game: Avatar Skin Edition, coming soon.

Even if that is the case it will at least be beautiful, also considerably better than the actual Avatar video game of 2009.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Added bonus: when the physics engine craps out and things fly off, just say they were made of unobtanium. IT'S NODDA TOOMAH^WBUG!

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The last game was pretty good IIRC? Pretty sure I bought it and played it for a while.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

People will be too busy obtaining microtransactionanium through the companion app to notice anyway.:D

Do people even care about Avatar any more? Sure the movie got lucky because it was released at a time when the whole 3D gimmick still put butts in cinema seats, but other than that it was utterly generic.

6. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

The sequels are coming out about then, so I assume they think it'll be relevant again.

Truth be told I loved Avatar, something about it just clicked with me. I knew it was generic, but the world Cameron created thoroughly appealed to me, was one of those nerds who even learned to speak basic Na'vi haha

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I also rather enjoyed Avatar. The complains of "it's just Fern Gulley in space!" never made much sense: Star Wars is just Hero's Journey iiin spaaaaace (with battles made by cutting up WWII fighter plane movies), and it's still a great film.

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

My problem with Avatar is that it was as subtle as a brick covered in vegan poo. I could have accepted that if Cameron was doing something innovative or mind-bending, but he wasn't, it was a story that had been told countless times before and as such it felt utterly condescending e.g. Unobtainium, which is an analogue for oil, don't ya know? :rolleyes:

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Sci-fi Pocahontas: The game.

Awesome!

not

10. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well, actually, Unobtainium is a generic name for any substance that has properties which are desirable to any given application. In the world of Avatar they probably did have a more technically accurate name for the mineral, but boss-man used the word "Unobtainium" in order to demonstrate how rare or desirable the mineral was.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Unobtanium is exactly the sort of thing scientists and engineers would colloquially call a room-temperature superconductor (or flawless long-chain carbon nanotubes, or optical broadband metamaterial lenses, etc) and I could see the name catching on a a non-technical term. Titnaium and Neodymium have both been referred to colloquially as Unobtanium in the past, though the terms did not gain wide public adoption in those cases. I could see it happening for RTSCs, given the dramatic impact such a material would have.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Traditionally, "unobtanium" has been used to refer to any material which you need to make something work - typically a perpetual motion or free-energy machine - but which is unobtainable owing to generously not having been discovered yet or more realistically not actually existing. Hence unobtainium.

Think of the old perpetual motion machine which has the rope going through a bucket of water: it would work if you had a material which would create a perfect water-tight seal yet have zero friction. That material? Unobtainium.

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The only thing I find in the least bit interesting about this is that it probably means Massive will not work much on Division anymore. But I'm not sure that's bad...

14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Included the second paragraph even though, on the surface, it diminishes my point. You have to remember that he was accused of taking an "Un-American" stance at the time. Not boldly stated, my behind.

15. afrasiab

afrasiab What's a Dremel?

ubi games are always my favorite and hope that this new open world game will be good and worth playing,

N17 dizzi likes this.