1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Hardware Buyer's Guide Q2 2017

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 26 Apr 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I suppose this is the drawback of the quarterly version: you can't recommend ITX Ryzen until the end of the Summer, even when the ITX motherboards come out!

I wonder if a fixed page that you update as and when things change would be better - then you can leave it alone when the market is static (a problem with the monthly ones I assume) but change it whenever you try out a new product.

Still, I'll be following as religiously as I was the old monthly ones!

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Thank you for reissuing a HBG, I'm always looking forward to them

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Why didn't you go for the G4560 over the i3? You could have saved £50 for almost no lost fps and still keep the hyper threading.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Where's the mid-high £1500 option?

For many, £1500 is the sweet spot when it comes to a PC build and in this list we go from £1k straight to £2k+ builds.

6. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Not a bad shout, although benchmarks do suggest at least some limitation with mid-range graphics cards, and this would likely be exaggerated by future GPU upgrades. I'll add it as a very viable alternative in the text though :) thanks!

We can't cater for every budget. I do know what you're saying, but really the £1,500 wouldn't be that much different to the Enthusiast Gamer rig. Get a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080, maybe plump for X370 and a faster Ryzen chips (or Z270 and 7600K), and you're set. In most instances we outline alternative possibilities for those components if you're playing with more cash than £1K, and the GPU is the primary candidate.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

An OC RX 580 in an SFF rig? Why the tiny space-heater rather than the 1060: equivalent price, equivalent performance (slight edge to the 1060), but 100W less heat dumped into the case (tested 120W vs. 220W). That's a whole damn CPU's worth of heat that doesn't need to be dealt with in a small case, and also pushes total system power consumption down far enough that you can even use passive power supplies (e.g. HDPLEX's upcoming AC-DC plus DC-ATX combo) or any of the now large selection of SFX PSUs.

8. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

For the build they are suggesting, the case isn't really that SFF. It's therefore consistent to have some high-power parts, I think.

9. DbD

DbD Minimodder

If they make the system significantly faster yes, but if you can basically have the same performance for a lot less power I would have thought it's a bit of a no-brainer.

10. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Really good to see this come back. Thank-you.

I had the same worries about the gap between £1k-2k, but what Dogbert said is right.... you basically just pick the next model up for CPU or/and GPU and you've hit the £1.5k mark.

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

For a over £ 2k system I expect 32gb ram (not sure if that is feasible on RYZEN at the moment) an Intel build be nice as well as still better at single threaded tasks (RYZEN Still very good as its very close to the 6-7th gen i7 at single threaded performance)

Tags: Add Tags