1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice $3400 Final build list - Please Review & Approve before I purchase! (purchased)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitesky, 28 Jul 2009.

1. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Not required if he's going for proper watercooling ;)

3. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

I know next to nothing on W/Cing so I can't advice you on blocks and the like, I would assume it's a case of jus comparing prices.

Bear in mind if you buy the Hydro edition you've gotta W/C it since day 1 as it has no fan etc, and I don't see any W/C in your budget, unless your planning on using existing kit.

In regards to that Corsair cooler, why would he buy a simple entry level CPU watercooler when he's planning on fitting a whole loop with pump and rad at some point in the future.

I agree with the G19 point though, the review on this site was less than favourable!

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2009/06/17/logitech-g19-review/1

4. SwiftDestiny101

Ninja'd -.- !

5. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

lol thanks rainbow, a few things though..

Are you really sure about that keyboard? I spent a lot of time researching keyboards and that model got stellar reviews so far. My biggest dilemma is that all the nicest models I checked are wireless, and I refuse to get wireless mouse or keyboard.

I really liked the proven reviews for the G15 keyboard I believe it was.. but hate the standard reddish orange color. The G19 is essentially the G15 but with changeable colors and color LCD display, and since the G15 is one of the most popular boards, I figured why not go G19.

Also I heard terrible stuff about Razor, although didn't check their headphones. Currently have a KOSS set.

6. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

On a side note: KOSS are brilliant... The KOSS Porta Pros are the best value headphones I have ever brought. And great retro styling to boot!

7. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

I'm just planning stock cooling atm since I won't be overclocking YET. Once I get the 2nd 295, I'll OC everything and watercool the whole system all in one big project. Also saves money right now.

Damn thanks I guess I'll have to check that out :waah: but Wow is it sexy looking though eh? I guess the looks also nabbed me despite the price/features

8. SwiftDestiny101

Well you'll notice from the review, the grade was knocked down by the price more than anything. The features and the performance it scored quite highly, so if you can swallow the (ludicrous) price tag it should be all good.

Your paying for the LCD, and as the review says you can watch youtube while your game loads, but how long until you bore of that? And is it worth 200+ dollars?

I'm also personally not a Razer fan, and you have a point, a quick scroll down logitechs site shows all the other keyboards bar the G15 and 19 are wireless...and you don't want last years tech, I agree with your thinking :)

9. SwiftDestiny101

Answers your question on the hydro card

10. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Thats the same PSU i've got, and same price. +1 on the H50 as well, very nice cooler and Newegg has it for $70.

Corsair CWCH50 is what to search for at newegg.

11. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

Well, I guess at this point I'm gonna track the price of the G19 until my order. What's crazy is that since a few days ago, the G19 went up 35 dollars at Newegg! I mean, why of all things?

Hopefully it will come back down, and if I'm in a tricky spot I'll save the money on another model.

Also, if I decide to OC the i7 early, I'll definitely check out that cooler, if not get it early just to be safe.

Edit: Woot, I think I'm about wrapped up, preparing my office space in the next few days! Excitement is definitely building, I'm gonna post pics here once I get this all running.

12. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

If you want to save money try the G15. Its just the G19 with a different read: cheaper LCD screen.

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

You could drop the g19 keyboard (you cant even browse you tube you have to watch there picks) it also is a dumb keyboard with no onboard CPU, it takes resources and a host of tasks running under task manager to operate and provide applications on the screen.

Drop the G19 and wait a few days / weeks and get a Corsair 800D case, a steel series mouse mat and the H50 cooler which drop 25deg off the temp of the core i7 and allow you to with easly clock up to 3.8Ghz, also if you go with the 800d case you have a open canvas to upgrade your water cooling?

Your golden any way you swing it and these are just finer points but Im just talking and making you think about options :D

Will you be gaming?

Dont forget to check out

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/

Whitesky likes this.
  14. Megabyht

Megabyht What's a Dremel?

Add a steelseries 7g and a razer mamba and i'll worship you forever :)

15. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Get Razer mouse

Do not buy an Enermax, you can save money with a cheaper alternative, consider, Corsair, cooler master, Be quiet etc.

120 GB SSD, is too expensive imo, a 60 gig would save you a lotta money i think

Upgrade that monitor definitely spend a lil extra and get the HP LP2475, definitely get it.

Don't buy that graphics just yet, wait a lil bit for Directx to come out and see what's up. It's way way too expensive right now.

16. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Wow I don't even know where to begin with this post...

The G5 is an excellent mouse, as are the majority of the Logitech mice. The Razer mice are nice as well, however if he likes the Logitech mice more than the Razer mice, it's not your job to sway his opinion. Neither brand is any better than the other for gaming, it's all just based on what feels good in the hand.

The Enermax is probably THE best 1000+ watt PSU on the market, and if you'll look at the price, you'll realize it's only $10 more than a Corsair at the moment.

As for the 120GB vs the 60GB SSD, he originally had the 60 and switched to the 120GB for the extra storage for the lower $/GB and higher performance. 50% increase in price for 100% increase in storage and higher performance.

He's looking at dual monitors, not single (while I agree with you a single LP2475w would be worth it), so the LP2475w is out of his price range for a dual setup.

As for graphics, now is the perfect time to get the first card... Honestly I have my doubts as to how much the cards will drop in price once the DX11 cards hit the market, and the nVidia based DX11 cards won't be available until 2010. So he can buy the card now, or wait three months to save ~$50. I think it'd be worth the ~$0.75 per day to have the card now without the price drop, and add a second one later.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2009
  17. SwiftDestiny101

Here here! People claim the Razer are better gamer's with the DPI numbers game, but tbh I prefer the over engineered feel of the Logi over the minimalism of the Razer, as clearly does the original poster.

As for the Enermax, as I said when I suggested it, it's a premium product and so it comes with a premium price tag. It is the best and you pay through the nose for it, although I cant comment on US pricing.

I get tired of the "your always waiting in the computing world for the next thing" thrown around these forums everywhere, but DX11 is a way off tbh. ATI are in the lead apparently, but still who know's how long. The only thing right now that would stop me purchasing, is a mid range computer and that would be to see the P45 in about 2 months.

18. JohnDribble

JohnDribble What's a Dremel?

I'm a bit late here but you're spending a lot of money on a computer, what are you going to actually be using it for? I see loads of people buying i7s when all they're doing is playing games and surfing the web which is massive overkill if you ask me.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So what's the news on the case?

Is it still the GS-1000? If not he could grab a Stacker 830 or an ATCS840 for a bit more.

20. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

I do resource intensive web design, video editing, animation and particle effects.. dual monitors with a powerful system will maximize efficiency and allow me to tackle new creative heights.

Also, I've never been into PC gaming (proud PS3 owner) so a new high-end system will get me to actually get some good PC games finally, as my current rig's graphics has been holding me back

I've tried my best to check out other good cases. I'm not doubting their quality or even superiority but I'm in <3 with this Zalmann so I'm willing to use w/e cooling methods to make it work as good, if there's even a need. Watercooling later should definitely help.

I'm actually thinking of carefully cutting out a side of the case and installing a clear panel.. has anyone done this? It's a very fine looking case to go messing around with.. I'd be nervous to do it with any case really.. But would look nice with all the lights visible through the side :)