1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features How To Integrate a Pump into a Distro Plate

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 26 Jan 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Lovely. :D You are running out of subjects to cover.
    Servos for animated parts like vents or doors?
    Nixxie tubes?
    :worried: custom blocks?

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Don't fear, plenty more bits and pieces left under the hood! I guess it will depend on how many areas we dip our toes into, there's an almost bottomless pit of possibilities out there

4. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

Quick one: do you find integrating the pump like this causes much additional noise/vibration? I've always gone out of my way to decouple the pump from everything else but i go for very quiet builds.

5. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

"it's not a bat idea to use them as a reference point"

Quickly, Robin, to the Bat-cave!

6. Maki role

Not with D5s at least, I've not lived with a DDC in a plate though so can't comment much on that, I tend to avoid those pumps for being whiny. I've done a few of the D5 mounted ones now and they all seem fine, I think much of it comes down to how you mount the plate to the case and the materials chosen. If you mounted one in a wood case, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a real din if not properly isolated.

7. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Mr Role, have you covered actually making the o-rings that go into these distro plates? Or anybody here point me in the right direction on how to do it? I have an exciting DDC pump being milled very soon and I'll be needing some o-rings!

8. Maki role

You can actually make them quite simply from stock o-ring cord, all you need to do is superglue the ends together and smooth over any seams.

edzieba and LePhuronn like this.
  9. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Cheers boss. I'm also going to look at getting pre-made and wrapping around the channels. I've at the forethought at least to get my channels within hundredths of a whole millimetre in length, so should be able to get something stock and fit.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2019
  10. DerDings

DerDings What's a Dremel?

It took a while to approve my registration but I wanted to thank you for this awesome guide.

11. XcoldstarX

XcoldstarX What's a Dremel?

Would it be possible to make a sequential dual pump distribution block with the same material thickness?

I am trying to work on a design and I realised that for the channel connecting the 2 pumps, there will be a bit of problem designing the screw holes for the channel as such a design will be mechanically unsound, as there isn't a lot of material for the area where the pump impeller cavity is, and adding screw threads over the cavity would mean the acrylic at the screw threads will be less than 2mm thick.

I would be very grateful if you can provide some pointers to making such a design possible.

Here's 2 images of my example:

TJ-07 distroblock full length v2.jpg

TJ-07 distroblock full length v2 - 2.png

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

nvm

Last edited: 9 Mar 2020
  13. XcoldstarX

This is the area which I would see problems. With the screw thread made, the amount of material between the end of the screw thread and the pump impeller cavity would be like 0.8mm, which may crack under pressure from the pump.

TJ-07 distroblock full length v3.jpg

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yeah, 0.8mm def would be too much of a risk.

You could split up the pumps:

Thinking loop setup like:
    Pump 1 - Waterblock(s) - Pump 2 - Rad(s) - back to Pump 1

That way you can feed the outlet from pump 1 into a normal fitting rather than having to navigate the impeller cavity of pump 2.

Other than that you'd probably be stuck using thicker acrylic (or glue).

15. XcoldstarX

I am going to try your suggestion.

The pump positions can't change much, maybe they can be spaced further apart by 30mm, but instead of running them sequentially, I am going to try having something in-between, like the radiator at the bottom of the case, so the water channels of both pumps don't interfere with each other.

I am also trying to do 2 connecting distribution blocks with the connection done GPU block-SLI terminal style.

This is what I am working on:

SilverStone Temjin SST TJ07 v12.jpg

Last edited: 8 Mar 2020
  16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@XcoldstarX - You could lengthen the pump mount screws to run through both plates and do away with the 2nd set of screws. In that configuration, it would probably be better to tap the pump mount bracket and run the screws through from the other side.

Tags: Add Tags